Friday, January 12, 2007

Destination: Big Bend National Park

Well, we finally picked where we are going on our 5th Anniversary vacation. We had hoped to visit Scott & Cheryl in England, but no dice. Plane tickets are expensive!!! But, we pulled ourselves out of our sadness and proceeded to think of other places to go. We simultaneously decided that we wanted to stay in Texas and see what fun stuff there was around here. I mean, you'd think in a state this huge there would be tons to do, right?



There is!!



We had such a hard time deciding where to go. The major contenders were San Antonio and a Dude Ranch in Banderas :) . San Antonion has The Alamo, The Riverwalk and SeaWorld and tons of other things. The Dude Ranch we looked at had 2 hours of horseback riding everyday, hiking, and lots of rest and relaxation. And all of that sounded like just what we wanted.



But then the Black Horse came.



Big Bend National Park.





Can I just say WOW?!? The pictures are just magnificent and I can't believe it's as close as it is. It's only 9 hours away, and I thought it was much much further (I guess that distance is relative. If we went 9 hours the other direction we'd be in Missouri. Isn't Texas stinking huge?). Anyways, the more I looked around the more fun it sounded. There are tons of hiking trails (we wouldn't be doing anything too strenous, it will be summer after all), ghost towns, old mines, mountains, rivers and deserts. How awesome!

And the best part? We're going to try to take a two day float trip down the Rio Grande through that canyon in the picture!!! You get to sleep out by the river under the stars and have "Cowboy Coffee".


I am SO GEEKED.

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

Hmmm...I don't know what to think about the fact that we've been replaced so quickly and with such excitement! Don't worry about me lying in bed day after day from now on because my spirit has been crushed and I've entered a deep depression because you guys aren't going to come visit. I'm sure somebody will take care of Caleb so that he isn't neglected. I'm sure I'll get over it one day and find happiness again.