Wednesday, February 28, 2007
I've always been a late sleeper, hating to arise before 10am. In college, Regena (my roommate and best pal) and I would routinely sleep as late as possible on Saturdays, rising just in time to get lunch at Burger King in the Student Center. Unfortunately, kids make that dream life impossible. Even on the weekends (sigh). But despite the lack of sleep, something new has taken it's place: Morning.
I know Morning was always here, but I usually just missed it. Lately, the Tot has been waking up around 6:30am, Little David wakes up shortly thereafter. And you know, it hasn't been too bad. The Tot wakes up and we shuffle back to David's and my room, where she and I snuggle up in bed and watch Dora the Explorer. Sometimes I catch some more sleep, most often I don't. Either way she and I have great snuggle time. When she will no longer stay in bed, we make our way to the kitchen for some milk and whatever breakfast we feel like (cheerios, eggs, fruit snacks, whatever), and then she plays in the living room while I check my email and blogs. Little David wakes up and we all play for a bit, do the diaper changes, and then we all pretty much just sit around and rest. Days like today, when it's 66 degrees at 7am, are the best. The windows are open, the birds are chirping, and the wind chimes are clinking in the backyard. The kids are happy, dry, full and rested, and I am still in my jim jams. We've got a day ahead of us that is filled with things that have no timetable and no deadline. We may go to the library, we may go to the park, we may just stay at home and play in the backyard with the dog. It may rain, we may snuggle and drink hot chocolate and watch cartoons. I may get some laundry done, I may do the dishes, I may go for a run. I most definitely will get some good quiet time to do my bible study and have my prayer time and then I will read some more Harry Potter.
This is what I get to look forward to this morning. Not too shabby.
Tuesday, February 27, 2007
I ran a mile at 4 mph, then I bumped it to 4.5 for .1 of a mile, 5.0 for .05 of a mile and 5.5 mph for .1 of a mile. All added up, I ran casually for a mile and then like a raging beast for a quarter of a mile.
I sweated a lot, then I stretched a lot and then I worked out my arms.
I AM A BEAST.
And again, weirdly enough, running is getting fun.
Monday, February 26, 2007
The flaw? I can not end a phone conversation without sounding like Rain Man.
I don't know what the problem is, but every time the end of the conversation rolls around I start stuttering and babbling and talking all over the other person. I rush my ending, I go too slow, I interrupt them, anything that could go wrong does. Usually all at once. I know Cheryl is laughing as she reads this because she used to laugh at me all the time when I would call her and then stutter all over myself as I tried to hang up. Regardless of the fact that we talked all the time, I still couldn't hang up like a normal person.
I've tried everything I can think of to remedy this, and still I sound like an idiot. For some one who is a relatively well spoken person, I can not tell you how irritating it is to suddenly get diarrhea of the mouth right as you want to hang up and know that the other person will not be thinking of anything you said prior to that, only that you are really weird, maybe rude.
Is there a cure? Anyone? The Unsinkable needs your help.
Def - def - definitely.
Sunday, February 25, 2007
Friday, February 23, 2007
My Gramps had a heart attack this morning. He's doing well, and is now recovering in the ICU, but I would appreciate your prayers for a full recovery. He's the healthiest man I know (his doctor recently told him that he's healthier than most 50 year olds, and he's over 70), so this is a bit of a shock.
Thanks everyone, he's a pretty great Gramps, and I want him to feel great.
This morning the kids and I are still in our jammies and watching cartoons. In a little bit, we'll add some cheerios to the mix and maybe some milk. I might go to the gym and run, but I'm putting my bets on just hanging out today and relaxing. We'll have some lunch, take a nap, have a playdate, and then dinner. Dave's dad will come over and watch the kiddos and we'll go on a date and see a movie for the first time since Talledega Nights, and then we'll come home and smoke a cigar in the backyard.
Does it get any better than this?? Probably not.
Thursday, February 22, 2007
Talk about a great birthday present! A great game, a night without kiddos, and HOT DOGS.
Now, seriously, isn't he the best husband EVER?? Seven months in advance, not too shabby for David!
Okay, are any of you Grey's Anatomy watchers? And are you just DYING waiting to find out what happens tonight?? Please tell me you are and that you will chat with me about it tomorrow. ACK! SO excited!
Whether tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous sleep deprivation and sickness
Or to take arms beneath my head and nap.
I'm so gonna nap.
I ran anyways.
Wednesday, February 21, 2007
Tuesday, February 20, 2007
Anyways, so far this has been a darn near perfect day and I wanted to share it all with you. It's GORGEOUS outside, I mean, 78 degrees. I've run, I've worked out my arms, I've gotten new lenses in my glasses and new frames are on the way (I'll be sure to show you all a pic), I've done my bible study (Woman After God's Own Heart, highly recommended, at least for girls), washed the dishes and updated my blog (obviously), and now I'm getting ready to go pick up the Tot from preschool and finish folding some clothes. Awesome Day!!
Monday, February 19, 2007
Luckily, I was the only one around (it was dark, about 45 degrees, and crazy windy coming off the lake).
So, I feel really great about this and like I'm going to actually be able to do this 5k without walking, which is the goal. I'm going to keep running each night (oddly enough, it's rather addicting) and try for a mile each time, and in about a week I'm going to start tacking on more.
You can now all comment here and tell me how beastly, strong, champly and generally Unsinkable I really am!
And humble, too.
Thursday, February 15, 2007
The Chapman Family's favorite pose. The floor pic.
A Valen-Tot (complete with midriff)
She didn't let go of this "my ba-oon" for two days.
My goons in their complementary shirts
The pitfall of standing. Falling.
Wednesday, February 14, 2007
2. Favorite Valentine Treat: Russell Stovers Chocolate covered Strawberry Marshmellow hearts. Mmmm
3. Worst Valentine Memory: Ugh. Lee Rice and I had just broken up, I was so not okay with it but the day went alright. The next day in Mark Elrods class he asks me "So, did you get anything nice for Valentines Day?" "Nope, no boyfriend, just a card from my parents" (I'm trying to be cool about this) "Nothing? Nothing at all but from your parents?" "Nope. No boyfriend." "Man, that's awful." Gee thanks. I hated him until my senior year when I had him for Western Political Thought and then he became my favorite teacher of all time. Him and Fred Jewell. I love that guy.
4. If you could write your own conversation heart, what would it say? Strong.
5. Flavor never intended to be in a box of chocolates: Booger.
6. If you could kiss one celebrity on Valentine's Day, who would it be? Don't know, there really isn't anyone I wouldn't feel stupid kissing.
7. What would be the perfect Valentine's Day date (distance and money no problem) ? Babysitting all day long, breakfast at Cracker Barrell, walking around Ocracoke Island, lunch at The Backporch, afternoon massages, dinner at Pappadeaux (we're actually doing this one), and then snuggling on the big couch at home with lots of funny tv shows on and chips, chilis queso and our home made salsa.
8. What is your favorite Valentine's flower? Roses and Tulips (David gets me a rose for each Valentines Day together each year. This year I get six!).
9. Favorite Chick Flick: French Kiss
10. Pink or Red? Both!
11. PDA - stare or look away? Too busy with my own PDA, thanks.
12. Wine or champagne? Not a good drinker, reference my wedding toast.
13. Movie in the theater or movie on the couch? Couch, unless it's a huge blockbuster movie that needs a giant screen.
14. What is Cupid's real name? Cameron says Eros, so I'll have to go with that. I have no clue.
15. Lingerie or pj pants? Time and place for both.
16. Your "Cupid's" match for two celebrities (that aren't already a couple): Mandy Moore and Zach Braff, so sad they broke up.
17. Chocolate covered strawberries or whipped cream? Just chocolate thanks, why confuse it with fruit??
18. Best dedication song: Good Morning Beautiful & Better Together & Why Don't We Get Drunk....
19. Best Karaoke love song: You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling
20. Valentine plans: Lots and Lots of errands - taxes, eye appt (for me), picture appt (for the kiddos), groceries and David home ALL DAY LONG!! But on Friday, Dave's parents are watching the kiddos and so we're going to Pappadeaux (mmmmm seafood) and getting crawfish. Mmm. I already gave David his present, a sampler of Davidoff cigars (I'm a beast) and he was going to get me a massage but I asked for a dinner without kids instead. I'd rather have dinner with him than anything, anyways :)
Tuesday, February 13, 2007
Monday, February 12, 2007
Sunday, February 11, 2007
Because of this irritating separation, we invested in a second line for our cell phone. We had been needing to get another line for awhile (Dave doesn't like me traveling with the kids with no phone and he needs one for business), but had kept putting it off. Well, after this last trip with almost no contact we buckled. So now I have our "old" Razor phone (with the coolest ringtone EVER - Gnarles Barkley "Crazy") and he has the little blue one we got for free.
We also got unlimited texting. Can you say Addicting??? We've been doing it all day!! Just a little note here and there "Im so bored." "Me 2" "Kids r crying. Ugh" "Sorry about that" "Im so bored" "Me 2" etc etc. Even though I'm sure our grammar is going to suffer because of this, it is so worth it. There is nothing worse than being away from your pal and not being able to talk. So today, I am bored and missing my pal, but at least I can be in on the minutia of his travel time and his upcoming conference and not feel so apart. I expect to see a lot of "Im bored" "Conference suks" "Food is good" "Hotel cable is bad" "Miss you". He can expect to see a lot of "Kids r driving me nuts" "Tot is still sick" "D on 9th shewy diaper" & "miss you".
In the mean time, I'll be watching the Grammy's tonight (possibly with some home made caramal popcorn) with my phone by my side waiting to text some more :)
Saturday, February 10, 2007
Actually, we were watching Max Lucado. And this whole time I thought I was reading his blog. Not sure why the name "Mike" didn't ring a bell, but anyways. Now I know, and knowing is half the battle.
At least I have a new blog to read, right?
David gets home in an hour!!!! Horray!!!
Friday, February 09, 2007
(For those of you who don't know, this is FlyLady, the best thing EVER. Go there, and you'll be inspired to get your home in tip top shape, and not whine about it)
Thursday, February 08, 2007
Wednesday, February 07, 2007
AND - it's TWICE a week!! Horray for more time to get stuff done!!
2. Valentine's Day! I'm getting a massage :)
3. March 4th - David's baby dedication at church
4. Spring! It's almost here, I can feel it.
5. Planting our bluebonnets outside.
6. David's 1st Birthday!!
7. Running the Race For The Cure (I'm so sore, BTW)
8. Our 5th anniversary vacation, whenever it comes
9. Scott & Cheryl & Caleb coming home!
10. Meeting Caleb :)
11. Laura Beth coming home!
12. Building a deck out where our carport is in the back yard and hanging our hammock chairs.
13. Getting Tot a swingset for her third birthday (don't tell her, it's a suprise)
14. Tot's 3rd birthday
15. Tot going into preschool this fall
16. HARRY POTTER SEVEN COMING OUT JULY 21!!!
17. Harry Potter 5 the movie coming out in July :)
18. David's 28th birthday - he's getting so old :)
19. My 26th birthday - I'm SO young :)
20. Seeing the bluebonnets bloom this spring.
21. Going to Ranger games
22. Breaking out my flip flops for good.
23. Going to Six Flags (I am SO going this year)
24. Seeing my Indiana family at my Grandparent's 50th anniversary
25. Seeing Little David learn to walk
26. Not being pregnant for any part of the year for the first time since 2003.
27. Getting our tax return.
28. Painting the kids rooms.
29. Spring Cleaning
30. Seeing how long my hair gets.
And you know that's only up through September!! I just love the start of Spring, it makes me so excited for the rest of the year. I hope you are all having as good of a day as I am.
What are you looking forward to?
And now back to our regularly scheduled update.
The Stats, Yo.
Weight: 23 lbs. He's my chubby little cubby all stuffed with fluff. And I love the leg rolls. I always wanted a fat little baby, but Tot was so skinny for so long. It's nice to have the Chubs to snuggle with.
Eating: He's doing okay, not eating as much as he was, but then again, he's stopped growing as fast, too. David eats about one jar at lunch and one jar at dinner. He's stopped having breakfast, we'll probably start that up again here soon. He most definitely prefers vegetables to any other thing. Especially if it's a green veggie. He tolerates fruit, but it takes a lot of singing. He's tried pureed meats, but doesn't seem to keen on them. Not that I blame him, they are really gross.
We've also dabbled in table foods, mostly bits of bread and cereal. But he has had tastes of: pizza, cheese, chocolate, and brandywine sauce from Don Pablos (he was a fan, and no, there was no actual brandy in it. Mostly butterscotch and butter, I'm thinking). He has also been fed Cheerios by his sister when I wasn't looking. It was fine, but it's a little unnerving to see him gobbling down the O's when I have yet to check for whether or not he'll choke on them.
Sleeping: YAHOO!!!! This is where the biggest change has happened. I'm proud to inform you that David has been sleeping through the night the last week!!!!! HORRAY!! I feel like a new gal and David certainly is a happier camper as he's sleeping from 6pm - 5am, drinking a bottle, and sleeping until 7:30am. STRONG. We're still trying to time the naps, but he's getting into a better schedule. Usually a one hour nap mid morning and another one mid afternoon.
Moving: As I long suspected, he's pretty much a genius. He's crawling with a speed that impresses all who see him, mostly because he still isn't crawling on his hands and knees, but in his own little "worm" way. I swear, that kid can book it. His favorite places to go are: the bathroom (he loves the froggy shower curtain), underneath the coffee table, and underneath the kitchen chairs. He's also pulling himself up to standing now! He doesn't do it often, and it's only when he thinks no one is looking. I assume he doesn't want to be embarrassed if he falls.
Attitood, Attitood (yes, I deliberately misspelled that, it's to give you my preferred voice inflection): Such changes! No longer my solemn little child, he's such a chipper thing! He wakes up babbling, sitting up in his crib and just laughs and smiles when I walk in. In fact, most mornings he'll just sit and play in there for awhile, something the Tot never did. The only times he is fussy are when he's ready to sleep or needing to be changed, or when I leave his direct line of vision. He is rather attached to me, and prefers to be held by me more than others. He has no problem going to other people, he just usually wants to come back to me after a short bit. He tolerates Tot's rough housing (aka: sitting on him and yelling "HORSIE HORSIE BUBBA IS HORSIE") and overly affectionate manner. All in all, he's pretty easy going.
Tuesday, February 06, 2007
Today was my first day of training for the 5k, and can I tell you all that I am not in near as bad shape as I assumed I was? This was my work out:
5 min brisk walk
2 min jog/2 min walk for 20 minutes
5 min walk cool down
10 min stretching
The reason I count this work out as so beastly is the fact that I HATE to run or jog. I mean, I absolutely hate it. However, I was pleasantly suprised to find out that when I'm jogging for a goal, I don't mind it. I just kept picturing myself running in that race and feeling so good about accomplishing such a great goal.
That and I was watching FOX news reporting on the "Diaper Driving Astronaut". That's enough to keep anyone preoccupied :)
Anyways, I feel absolutely wonderful and it was a fantastic way to cap off my first Tot-less day.
I'm A Beast!!!!
Monday, February 05, 2007
Isn't he a standing champ??
I seem to have a few minutes on my hands so I'll give a go at a survey Sarah had up on her website a few days ago. You all know how I'm a sucker for them.
You're stuck on a deserted island...
1) Name 5 books you want with you. (These are the 5 books that you're stuck with the rest of your life! Name only SINGLE books, no series)
a. My Inductive Study Bible ~ there is always something new I'm pulling out that I haven't thought of exactly that way before. I figure I'll be needing something fresh on a desert island.
b. Harry Potter 7 ~ yes, I adore the books and if Sarah hadn't been so stingy I would have included them all as one book.
c. War and Peace ~ what better time to get that started?
d. Pride and Prejudice ~ my all time favorite
e. Angus, Thongs, and Full Frontal Snogging ~ a hilarious pre-teen book by British author Louise Rennison. Always funny, and I'll need something funny.
2) Name 5 movies you would have (assuming there's a dvd player and a tv on the island)
a. Pride & Prejudice (BBC) - nice and long.
b. North & South - again, nice and long. And minutely educational. Ish.
c. Dodgeball - I'll be needing to laugh.
d. My wedding video - so I can see all my friends and family
e. Friends - I am SO counting this as one movie, even though it's really cheating. I love that show.
3) Name 5 songs and 5 songs only that you would have on your iPod.
a. Better Together - Jack Johnson
b. Live For Today - Natalie Grant
c. Cecelia - Simon & Garfunkle
d. Margaritaville - Jimmy Buffett
e. Amazing God - Chris Tomlin (I think that's the title, at least)
Sunday, February 04, 2007
P.S. Is Peyton Manning not the cutest thing you've ever seen?
He is my new FootBall Boyfriend.