Monday, February 26, 2007

The Unsinkable's Greatest Flaw

Okay Readers, I know you thought that I pretty much perfect in every way, but alas. It isn't so. I have one major flaw, and it corrupts so many parts of my life.

The flaw? I can not end a phone conversation without sounding like Rain Man.

I don't know what the problem is, but every time the end of the conversation rolls around I start stuttering and babbling and talking all over the other person. I rush my ending, I go too slow, I interrupt them, anything that could go wrong does. Usually all at once. I know Cheryl is laughing as she reads this because she used to laugh at me all the time when I would call her and then stutter all over myself as I tried to hang up. Regardless of the fact that we talked all the time, I still couldn't hang up like a normal person.

I've tried everything I can think of to remedy this, and still I sound like an idiot. For some one who is a relatively well spoken person, I can not tell you how irritating it is to suddenly get diarrhea of the mouth right as you want to hang up and know that the other person will not be thinking of anything you said prior to that, only that you are really weird, maybe rude.

Ugh.

Is there a cure? Anyone? The Unsinkable needs your help.

Def - def - definitely.

7 comments:

Cheryl said...

It's true. I laughed out loud. Hard. Now I have the urge to call you on the phone much more! :) The funny thing is, you're a bit more eloquent on Skype...which really is the phone in computer form.

WxDaddy said...

One of the exercises I learned from the talent coach might be of some assistance.

First, when you feel yourself getting flustered, stop and take a breath. It gives your brain a chance to catch up to your mouth wich is the source of a few different types of speaking abnormalities.

If that doesn't work try this. When you're not on the phone, think of what you want to say when trying to hang up. Then, rehearse it and say it the exact same way every time. It could be, "Okay, love you. Bye" or something that sounds more like you. But, pick something that you like and commit it to memory being careful not to change it at all.

Then, when you're on the phone, try it. Once you've started to say your "goodbye" phrase, you should feel it automatically slip out of your mouth. It might take a couple of days but you should be able to break this thing!

Unsinkable Kristen said...

Okay, great advice, but who are you?? I can't forever grateful (especially if this works and my friends stop lauging at me) to an unknown person!!

The Queen said...

wxdaddy has good advice. I have found that "Love you, goodbye" is great until you say it to a co-worker! LOL. Then it's just embarrasing. But, for 90% of regular conversations, this works just fine. I have never found you to be Rain Man, but then I am your mom... and Mary, I find you practically perfect in every way!
Love ya, bye bye.

Sarah said...

Awwww, your mom is the best. Funny, my mom calls herself the Queen, too.

I'll take a stab at it...I think WxDaddy is probably Canterbury...am I right?

wxdaddy said...

whoelse do you know who would proudly boast this nickname?

Unsinkable Kristen said...

You're crackin me up James - and thanks for the advice! Maybe now all my friends, family, and church family won't think I'm an idiot :) Much obliged!