Thursday, March 15, 2007

An Unsinkable, Unbreakable, Absolute Vow.


Okay guys, it's that time. Two years ago I made a Vow Of Absolute Truth. Since then I have kept to it and only strayed a handful of times, after which I promptly confessed. Except once in which I was wearing a shirt that said "LRC" and my father in law asked me what it was and I told him something different. It actually stands for "Little Rock Challenge" which while not dirty, is not exactly something you share with your father in law (and if you don't already know what it is, I'm SO not sharing on here. Email me or something). Anyways, I haven't told him still, so I should probably confess, except it's been about a week and now I'll look dumb. The price I pay for not adhearing to the Vow Of Absolute Truth.

But I digress.

What I meant to say is that it's time for me to make another vow. I do this seldomly, because once I say it I have to do it forever. It's not a challenge or an extravaganza that has a time limit. It's a way of life. It's also rather dramatic, which suits me.

I'm making a vow regarding my health. A vow that almost hurts my stomach to make, but I know that I have to make it.

I'm taking.... A Vow Of Absolutely No Dr Pepper.

I think I might hyperventilate.

You see, my Unsinkable Readers, Dr Pepper isn't good for the Unsinkable. However, if it is put in front of me I will not only not say No, I will drink so much of it that my stomach actually does hurt. I've tried saying no, I've tried quitting for a period of time, but alas. I just don't have a stop button. The only way for me to banish the scourge on my insides is to do just that. Banish it.

So, here to forth with and whatever other closing word, The Unsinkable is a Dr Pepper Free Zone. And just so there is no confusion (or loopholes for the Unsinkable to jump through, because she's good at that) this Vow includes any and all other sugary/carbonated "Cokes". Like I said, it's the spirit of the law, not the letter. This is going to be a hard Vow to keep, however, my exceptionally strong sense of guilt will keep me in line, just as it has with my Vow Of Absolute Truth.

Wish Me Luck, because once I post this, there's no going back.

10 comments:

Sarah said...

Good luck! Just so you know, I'm there with you! I haven't had a Dr. Pepper in a couple of months, and it's my absolutely favorite. I've cut out soft drinks altogether, although sometimes I'll have a few sips of Michael's...which I guess I should really stop. Seriously, once you get used to it, it's really no big deal. Getting there is the tough part, though...

You can do it!

Tiffany said...

Wow. If you adhere to this (as I have no doubt that you will) you will be, well, STRONG.

Tiffany said...

By the way -- what was the exciting reason behind the family photos that you didn't want to talk about and risk jinxing -- or are we still in a a jinxable place? Just curious...

Unsinkable Kristen said...

I don't think I'm jinxable now, but until I think I'll leave the exciting reason until I can show you a hard copy :)

Becky said...

does that include diet drinks as well? or just the full on sugar ones. in 2002 i changed to strictly diet drinks and have never looked back. DDP was the first and easiest change. and i don't care that it is probably more expensive than gas if you can't get it on sale...i will NEVAR give up my diets. i am just NOT that strong and i claim it. good luck new friend!

Unsinkable Kristen said...

I'm including diet drinks, too. A solid Adios to all sweety beverages. I'm sticking to regular water, tea (unsweet like always), and milk.

Unsinkable Kristen said...

Gosh that sounds boring.

The WeatherDaddy said...

Perhaps an additional motivation will aid in your success.

Amy came up with this idea called "Water Dollars" back when we got engaged. Everytime one of us ordered a water instead of a soda at a restaurant (even fast food), we put one dollar in a jar to go toward our honeymoon park tickets at Disney World. We were engaged just shy of a year. By the time we waltzed up to the ticket booth at Disney, we had just under $400! Our water-drinking paid for all but $18 of our park tickets for our entire 7-day honeymoon!

Try it with a saving goal in mind...like your international trip coming up. See what happens.

Good luck!

Mother Lu said...

James has an awesome idea! I think I'll suggest that to my hubby! We've been wanting to start planning a honeymoon (yeah, never got one).

I gave up Mt. Dew 2 years ago. Just recently gave up all sodas. It is hard at first, but once you get it out of your system (about a week) it is no big deal and you'll feel so much better!

Sarah said...

Crap. All this time I could've been saving for our 1st anniversary trip. I wouldn't even begin to know how to do that little plan retroactively...