Monday, April 30, 2007

Back Home Again, In Indiana....

And it seems that I can see,
the gleaming candle light, still shining bright,
through the Sycamores for me!
The new-mown hay sends all its fragrance
Through the fields I used to roam.
When I dream about the moonlight on the Wabash,
How I long for my Indiana home!

I'm sure it's silly, but I sing that song each and every time that I cross the Indiana state line or when the plane finally touches down in Indiana. In fact, I usually clap along, much to the chagrin of my Lone Star State loving husband.

Each time I go home (I reserve the right to consider both Texas & Indiana my home), I see so very many things that I remember and I get more and more excited until I finally reach my grandparents house and then it immediately feels like I never left. There is no adjustment period, no transition, and no weirdness. It's just home.

I know that there will be chocolate or some form of sweet thing in the cabinets to the far left under the window and I know that my picture will be on the fridgerator more than anyone elses' (not because I'm the favorite, just because I happen to be in the other pictures as well as the featured grandchild, and by the way, this had better not have changed ). The water tastes just like it always has (and smells the same, too, which is both good and bad), the back porch still smells like summer, even when it's freezing. And birds still slam into the window in the living room.

There is something so very comforting about having a place in your life that doesn't change much. Obviously, every place changes a little bit. Like now there is no crab apple tree in my grandparents front yard, and there is no giant oak in their backyard. And the tiny pine tree we gave my Mammaw one year is now a giant. But mostly, things are the same.

Church is still wonderful, even though it is now a mixture of people I've known my whole life and people I've never seen. The town is still the same, even though more businesses have closed and new ones have opened. All of the places I used to live are still there, some looking better and some looking worse. Most of my old schools are still there, with the notable exception of one that is now a parking lot that houses a Walgreen's (ah, Asbestos strikes again).

For some one like me, who has moved more than she's stayed, something that doesn't change much is invaluable. I've spent so much time honing my adjusting skills and new friend making skills in my 16+ moves, that to have somewhere to go where you know that you absolutely, inequivocably, belong is just wonderful. You can get a Dr Pepper and a straw (because that's how we roll there), kick your feet up, maybe munch on some ham salad, and just be. It's perfection.


Added to the perfection of location, of course, is the people. There would be no Indiana home without my Indiana family. I have an amazing family who know me inside and out and still like me, even want to spend time with me! We have relatively few dysfunctions (I say relatively, because everyone has them), and I genuinely like each member of my family (and that is rare). I have Aunts and Uncles whom I enjoy spending one-on-one time with, and I have cousins who are swiftly becoming real people that are so much fun to be with (not that they weren't before, but when you've known them since their birth it's easy to see them as kids all the time), and I have grandparents that are hilarious and wonderful to be around.

Is it any wonder I can't wait to visit?

Speaking of which, let me tell you a little about my upcoming trip to Indiana. My excitement is what started this post, and as you can tell if you've read this far, it knows no bounds.

We will be flying out of Dallas on David's and my 5th anniversary, so that we can be there in time for my Grandparent's 50th anniversary the next day. Funny enough, my oldest friend is flying into Indiana on the exact same flight. Matt is currently loving life in the Navy while stationed at Pearl Harbor (jerk). Matt and I have been friends our entire lives as he was born 6 months before me and our mothers are best friends. Having Matt be there while I'm visiting is just icing on the cake.

We'll arrive early Friday morning and spend the day catching up with everyone. Friday night my Mom flies in and then the party really starts :). Saturday is my grandparents 50th anniversary and party and we'll spend most of the day decorating and then celebrating them. I'm quite excited for the slide show.

Saturday night, though, is going to be the best ever. We're having a Slumber Party. No lie. My whole family is going to pile into my grandparents house and we are going to stay up way past our bedtimes, eat Pizza King pizza (and some Art's if I have any say in it), watch some home movies, talk an insane amount, and generally just revel in eachother's company. My family is the coolest.

Sunday we will all caravan to church, where I will get to see some of my favorite friends and their newest additions and we'll all get to compare growing families and hopefully go out to eat and do more catching up. I've heard talk of a burrito place in Fishers that is sounding pretty good.

Monday brings our sad return, but what a full and fun weekend!


So, there you have it. My love of my home state, and my fun filled weekend to come.



It's great to be an Unsinkable Hoosier!

*** Edit ***

I forgot to mention dates....we aren't leaving for another three weeks, I am just THAT excited :)

9 comments:

The Aubrinator said...

Hope you have a wonderful time at home!
(Is this trip different than the Cincos trip or the same?)

Sarah said...

That sounds awesome. I don't know if my family will ever have another one of those mass get togethers, but if we did, it would be a lot like yours sounds!

Hope you have a great time. Take lots of pics.

Sarah said...

OH! And happy anniversary to your grandparents. Funny, TODAY is my grandparents' 61st anniversary!

Tiffany said...

I'm super excited for you! (And is that a baby Unsinkable in the yard in that first picture, or a baby Tot, or someone else? I zoomed in but couldn't tell.)

Unsinkable Kristen said...

It's babyTot. How small and chubby and cute was she??

Anonymous said...

And Kristen, we are THAT absolutely excited to see you too! I haven't "seen" you in forever, even though it seems like we are close again after catching up on myspace and your daily blogs! It will be so great to have the "old crew" back together again. If we don't get to have very much one-on-one time, let's at least meet in the front of the church, entire families of course, and get a big group photo!

Anonymous said...

that previous anonymous one was from me! LOL
Robin Abels

The Queen: said...

I can't hardly wait, kiddo! I am soo excited and I hummed along with the words. Nice touch. :)

See you in a 17 more days.

Cash Girlz said...

Sniff, sniff. We do have a great family and I am so glad you put it into words. We are so excited and dare I say "geeked" about the aniversary and visiting with you guys. I'm behind in my blog reading so I saw tots program how cute. We will show off our peoples talents when you get here. Love you!