Thursday, May 31, 2007

Recent Developments...

I've been rather remiss in talking about the kiddos and the new things that they are doing, so I thought I would give you a bit of a look at what the kids are up to:

1. Tot has started sleeping every night with a pillow over her face. Over. We put her to bed all normal like, and then when I go to check on her before I go to sleep, there she is. Laying perfectly normal (well, usually she's either moved from the bed to the floor or under her table, so sortof normal) with a giant adult sized pillow with a Dora the Explorer pillowcase completely covering her head. She does this during naps, too.

2. Little David will only wipe his nose on my clothes. He has cat-like speed and reflexes when it comes to Kleenex and no amount of prodding will catch that speedy little head. But man, the moment I pick him up he nuzzles right down into my neck and I go thinking it's all sweet and then I remember, I am just a human tissue to him. And wouldn't you know, there is a days worth of snot on my brand new shirt.

3. Tot will only read "Happy Potty Books". We started this thing where she has special books and toys that she only gets to play with when she is on her Big Girl Potty. It's actually worked a little too well, because now she never wants to leave the thing. Anyways, we mostly have Bearenstein Bear books in there and up until recently she's loved them. However, apparently, she's decided that Mamma Bear is too angry too often. She looks at the books and says "Mamma Bear angwee. Angwee Potty Book, I no read. I read Happy Potty Book!". We've had to sort through all of our books to find the ones that look the happiest. I'm sad to say only one Bearenstein Bear book made the cut. I don't think I ever realised how often Mamma Bear is getting on to those poor cubs. Geesh, cut the kids a break.

4. Little David should have a SAG card. The moment I put him down, or walk away, take away a toy, or generally do anything he finds displeasing, he crumples up his mouth and faceplants onto the carpet. You would think that a kid of his size (he's basically a tank) wouldn't be able to fold in half, but he can and does regularly. The drama that he can pull from this one little act is astounding. I've never seen anything look so pathetic in my life. He just lays there with his face in the carpet and cries and cries. The moment you pick him up, he sniffles a little, makes a brave little face and snuggles into your neck, sighing with relief. You then feel awful for putting him through such misery. But if you look at just the right second, he totally smiles, knowing the battle has been won.


Life may not be the most normal at our house, but surely no one laughs as much as we do.

***
"Therefore I urge you brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship."
Romans 12:1

6 comments:

The Aubrinator said...

That is a riot, Kristen. I didn't realize just how mean Mrs. Berenstein is!
Has the Tot read any Richard Scarry? They're VERY happy.

Daisha said...

How old are Tot and Little David?

Unsinkable Kristen said...

Tot will be 3 in September and Little David will be one on Monday!!

Sarah said...

One of these days, I'm gonna have to meet these two...they sound hysterical.

Faith6 said...

I love the way you write Kristen. I am so enjoying your blog!! It is...uhm...bueno. :) I can so relate!!

Daisha said...

Thanks. I thought Little David was around Gideon's age.

Happy Birthday to him!
Daisha