Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Works For Me Wednesday: Homemade Household Cleaners

What works for me this Wednesday is making my own household cleaners. Some of you might know about my love affair with Formula 409. It's a beautiful scent that represents all that is clean to me and for years and years I have been faithful to this particular product at the exclusion of all others. It is a delight to my senses and I love love love it. I adore the way it cleans and the way my kitchen smells right after I've wiped the counters down and lit a candle.

However, it is also toxic to children, horrible for the enviroment, expensive, and not good to breathe.

I avoided all of these reasons to switch for a long time, after all, I recycled and breastfed, surely that was enough to counterbalance the rest of it, right? That's what I thought. It wasn't until I started to try to trim our budget that I really got the kick in the pants. I had been feeling bad about all the toxic-ness, but was pretty unwilling to pay a jillion dollars more for all natural products and was just as unwilling to spend hours making them myself. All of a sudden, I started to read more and more about people making their own cleaners and how cheap it was and how much money they were saving and about how easy it was.

Well, fine then.

So, after many years of being a 409 junkie, I finally made my first attempt at making my own cleaners.

It was embarrasingly easy. I mean, really, I don't think I've ever felt sillier for not doing something than I feel right now.

All I did was buy a jug of white vinegar ($1.97) and a spray bottle from the dollar store (.99), and then I used some essential lemon oil I bought a year ago to freshen up my garbage disposal. A bottle of 409 is a little over three dollars. I paid three dollars and will have enough of my own cleaner to make at least 10 bottles.

Anyways, I put in a cup of white vinegar, 2 cups of water, and maybe a teaspoon of lemon oil and shook it up and my glass has never been cleaner.

See how easy that was? You don't even need to go to a health store.

So, now my kitchen is sparkling and I don't have to freak out if one of the kids gets into the cabinets. The peace of mind is worth the 10 seconds & 3 dollars it took to make the stuff.

Next up? A Lavendar antiseptic spray....

5 comments:

Mary@notbefore7 said...

Hmmm...I was just considering buying Melaluca cleaners, but maybe I can use this...thank you! Looking forward to more!

Classic MaMa said...

This is awesome! I'll be trying it soon. Thanks for the idea.

Jennifer said...

does the lemon smell take over the vinegar? I love lemon but not sure if I want my house to smell like vinegar. I'm in the process right now of trying some Melaleuca products for the very reasons yu listed. I really like natural products and they seem to fit the bill. I may try your little experiment soon. Thanks for sharing! Also, did you get my GG email?

Jill said...

Is the lemon oil expensive? Could you just use lemon juice? Thanks!

Jill said...

Thanks for replying on my blog. I will have to look into making my own cleaner. I currently by all-natural products, but hey...if I can save a buck. Why not.
Thanks also for the encouragement about my blog. It's really fun...this blogging world. I feel it is my connection to the outside world, as I am with two youngsters all Day! I love your blog too. I especially love your photo header! I have even added it my google reader. :-)
Blessings to you!