Thursday, August 16, 2007

A Challenge?? You Shouldn't Have!

Yes friends, you read that right. The Unsinkable is starting a new challenge!


It's been awhile since I had a challenge or an extravaganza and I decided that there was no better way to kick off this new season of blogging than with something to strengthen my soul. I've been spending some time reading a great book by Priscilla Shirer called "He Speaks To Me: Preparing To Hear From God". It's an incredible book filled with a lot of Bible, a lot of common sense, and a lot of pride knocking reminders. It is this book that has inspired my newest challenge.

In what can only be called a perfectly orchestrated series of events, this seems to be the best time for me to get back to basics. The Fall bible studies are beginning at church, and I will be participating in a BSF (Bible Study Fellowship) class. This is a very involved study that really makes you dig deep in the Word. Each day you have a lesson where you read your bible and you really dig. You are asked not to use commentaries, but to look up words in Greek/English dictionaries, to pray, to think and to study so as to pull your own conclusions from the Word. Then you meet once a week to talk with others about what you learned and hear what they learned. It's very simple, very basic. Perfection.

Next in my series of events is something that technically started earlier than just now. Our church recently hired a new minister and let me just say - Awesome. In recent years it has become more and more popular to favor pratical application in Sunday morning sermons. While I understand the usefulness behind this, it leaves the worshipper with lots of good ideas and very little time in the Bible. And yes, it is equally detrimental to spend all of your time digging through the bible and never applying it to your life, but I just don't see a lot of that in my day to day life. Which brings me to our new minister. The man preaches it. I mean, PREACHES it. He starts in a passage and he works you through it, to where at the end of the lesson (and it is indeed a lesson) you feel as if you have learned more about God's intentions and you have something to change in your life, as well. I have so very much enjoyed it. And seriously, we've been searching for a minister for two years, it is no coincidence that this man is here at this time.

The last in this series, is that this is really just the perfect time for me to sit on the hill and listen. In two weeks (hmm...maybe three), Tot will be going back to preschool. I will be left with two days a week in which I only have one child and some extra time on my hands. Additionally, the kids are napping better than ever (or at least resting), and I have a good two hours in the afternoon. You see friends, what I am trying to tell you is this: The calm in the storm of motherhood has hit me. There is still a storm going no doubt (just wait until I post about having to read "The Strong Willed Child" & "Dare to Discipline"), but I have firm preaching from the pulpit to listen to, I have a strong Bible driven bible study to attend, and I have time each day to actually spend time with the Lord.

Can you say God given?

So that brings me to my challenge. I'm not going to challenge myself to read my bible every day or to pray a certain number of times or whatever. This is going to be a little different and maybe a little more vague.

I'm going to challenge myself to be different in a month.

I'm not sure how yet, and I'm not sure where the change will come. But I'm going to be listening to the Lord daily, and one can't do that and not change something.

2 comments:

Angela said...

I Think this is great! I totally believe that your goal is what God wants us to be doing. Being different and better each month/day/week. He wants us to be like him. So I'm with ya, here's to being different.

Robin said...

Kristen, all I can say is thank you. Thank you for letting God guide you to speak to me! I have been searching and praying and what I am missing is that GOd wants me to be different...not to have a particular goal in mind, because that is putting the control in my hands...but to Let God change me to what he wants me to be, to open my life to His goals and His will.
Thanks!