Monday, November 12, 2007

My Little Baby...

Just got his very first big boy hair cut.

Tonight Dave cut off the leftover mullet on Little David from Halloween, and along with it went all of my baby's curls and sweet little angel hair. I actually teared up when I saw him after it was all done because there is no mistaking that he is now a boy and no longer a baby. Of course, I saved all the little gently curled locks and placed them in his baby book, but they no longer catch the light like they did. They don't look quite as shiny, buttery blonde and they don't even feel the same.

But the saddest part is the loss of a familial gesture that I only did with him. Whenever Little David would toddle by me I would put my hand on the top of his hand, run it down to his neck, and stick my fingers through his long little hair and cup his neck. It's such a tiny little neck, and he would always turn around and bury his face in me and talk nonsense to me.

I know that the loss of a little bit of hair is really nothing in the grand scheme of things, but when the outcome is so...changed... it hurts my mothers heart just a bit that my baby, my tiny giant little baby boy, is a kid.

4 comments:

Nicole McIntyre said...

I know exactly how you feel. It was so hard to see Braedon's little curly mullet go. He just looks so...boy...now.

Diana Richards said...

Oh my goodness...I actually teared up! I hate the growing up thing!

Robin said...

My mother in law felt the same way about Gavin...I was just happy to see the mullet go!

The Sheets said...

that's ONE blessing of having a child who just now (at 17.5 mon.) is starting to get hair...

but I know the day is coming... and it makes me sad.