Wednesday, January 30, 2008

I Am Running!!

Technically, WE are running. Yes Friends, it's that time of year again - The Race For The Cure 5k.

Those of you long time readers may remember that last year Dave and I ran the race (mmm...technically we walked/jogged) and had a super fabulous time as well as raised over $200 for breast cancer research. Three years ago my Mammaw got breast cancer and since her recovery it's been very important to me to support those that are doing their best to fight it. We all know the statistics, that the chance of your getting breast cancer in your life is 1 in 8. However, the more money we raise for research the quicker we can beat this when it comes.

This is why we run.

Joining Dave and I this year are a handful of friends that I won't name in case they wimp out on me :), but we'll say that there are about 7 of us. I am totally stoked because not only will we raise more money, but running with friends is much more fun and with them all watching I'll probably run the whole thing just to save myself some embarrassment. Also joining us this year, Tot and Little David. They will be riding in style as we push them in the double jogging stroller (maybe I'll even decorate it). Dave and I think that this will be a totally awesome family tradition and a way to support all of those who have been affected by breast cancer.

So, in my sidebar you'll notice a new section titled "Miles" in which I'll be tracking our training process. Dave and I will be going out three days a week and slowly working up from walking three miles to running three miles. Some weeks we may get more in, some weeks less, but I want there to be some accountability.

Anyways, wish us luck as we work towards our goal, and if you want to join us Saturday, April 28th in Fort Worth, be my guest. There's always room for more runners.

5 comments:

Cat said...

I recommend the Couch to 5K running program. Chris and I amd some friends are currently doing it and have found it a great way to ease into lengthier runs. Check it out and let me know what you think.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

The Garrett's said...

That's awesome that ya'll are doing that as a family. I walked it one year, it was fun.

I took your survey!! It's on my blog.

Angela

Jen S said...

That's wonderful! I am sending you lots of luck. Keep us posted.

LBC said...

I'm not afraid to be named. I won't wimp out on you! Show me where to sign! I don't think the race is on the 28th though because that is a Monday.

Katrina said...

That's terrific! I don't know anyone whose life hasn't been touched by breast cancer in one way or another. I think this run is wonderful. Thanks.