Monday, May 05, 2008

Cinco, Cinco de Mayo

To get the full effect of that title, you will need to sing it to the tune of Copacabana. There, wasn't that funnier?

Anyways, Happy Cinco de Mayo to all of you. Today, I thought it would be fun to make an event out of the holiday and so we did. This morning we all hopped into the car and ran off to Michael's (which Tot calls "the crap store", I know she's trying to say "craft" so I don't get all offended) to grab some red and green tissue paper and other accoutrements. While at Michael's, I thought that it would be fun to have some nacho's for lunch, even though I had already planned to make Taco Salad tonight. So, after a brief stop at Kohl's to look for David some shorts, we ran over to Kroger and got some chips, some more cheese, and I found a great deal on taco shells, so we got those, too. By this point, the kids were going a little nuts (they can really only handle one or two errands at once), but we still needed to pick up the guacamole fixin's at the farmers market.

So, we're at the last stop and the kids enter full on melt down. We make our way slowly home (I swear a 20 minute drive with screaming kids feels like twelve hours) and Dave begins to make the salsa and guac while I start crafting with the kids. Utter chaos. Tot wanted to cut up all my stuff, Little David wanted simply to cut anything, I was tired of all the whining and just wanted to have a little craft time with my children, not the children of the corn. Sigh. After a little yelling, a little spanking, and a little chip-feeding, all of us were feeling much better and the crafting resumed.

I cut out some cute little flags from the tissue paper and Tot and Little David made tissue paper flowers and made a birthday card for our friend, April, who's birthday just happens to be today. Then we made some cute little suns out of yellow and orange triangles and paper plates and hung those up on the other wall (no picture, but just imagine the cut and paste beauty), completing our festive little kitchen.

While we crafted, Dave made some insanely delicious salsa and guac and some double decker nachos. YUM. All I can say is that I'm lucky to have a husband who will play along with me when I get a wild hair to celebrate a holiday that he doesn't really care about. I mean, really, the man even donned a cowboy hat (a nod to the Texas Mexicans) and put on a song called "Gringo Honeymoon" while we ate. Strong.

All through lunch Tot kept saying "Happy Cinco de Mayo everybody!" Too cute. Currently, the kids are napping and Dave is at the batting cages preparing for his game tonight and I am going to rest before rounds two and three of our celebration. After naps we're going to: go to the library to get some spanish books, watch an episode of Dora the Explorer (like we wouldn't anyways), make maracas, and then make tacos & taco salad for dinner. Round three comes after the kids go to bed, then Dave and I will be making margaritas and watching Zorro :)

Happy Cinco de Mayo Everybody!

3 comments:

LBC said...

Kristen, you are so much fun and so hilarious! I love your Cinco de Mayo festivities!

Tiffany said...

!Muy bien, mama! !Tu eres Insumberigble!

Tracey Clem said...

Kristen, I love that you find any reason to celebrate! What a fantastic day!