Saturday, May 03, 2008

Smart Habit Saturday: Family Bible Time

Well, April is over and so is my attempt to ever do laundry again (I wish). Actually, I did pretty good this week and worked on the laundry at least some every day. As a super bonus, I began to teach Tot how to help me with her laundry and I think that will go much easier now. She helped me put clothes into her drawers and hang her shirts up on hangers - pretty sweet!

For May's habit I've chosen to work on having Family Bible Time. I've talked about this before, not in depth or anything, but it's something I've been working on, on and off, for awhile now and I really want to make this a habit. For the past few days this has been what we do:

*Breakfast
(the rest of this we do while we're still at the table and the opportunities for distraction are smaller)
*Read a Psalm (for May we'll read the one that corresponds to the date)
*Memory Verse (for the moment, we're doing Ephesians 6:1)
*Sing two fun songs ("This Is The Day" and "Jesus Loves Me"
*Sing one hymn ("Our God, He Is Alive" - I want them to learn the older songs, and this one tells the story of Jesus so very well)
*Prayer (Tot prays, I help Little David pray, then I pray, and if Dave is home then he prays)

And then we're done! I have to tell you, it's been a pretty great part of my day. Tot is doing excellent at the memory verse and they are learning the songs very well. We're still working on staying still while we read the bible, but I figured that is a learned skill. To help in that, I got Tot's little bible and put Post It tabs on the Psalm we're reading and on her memory verse. Then, I can tell her to open her Bible to the green tab and she can pretend to read with us. I know that I would probably have better luck with a devotional geared to younger kids, but I really want them to learn to go to the Bible first and to not always depend on man's words about the Bible.

Anyways, so that's my habit this month! If you'd like to join me, hop on over to The Lazy Organizer!

5 comments:

Diana Richards said...

very inspiring. this would be great for even Josh and I to get into the habit of doing even before Zach can fully participate...though he does enjoy praying at meal times, and shouting AMEN while throwing his hands in the air when we are done. I'll need to start praying about this! funny how our posts ended up kinda similar today! :)

imadramamama said...

What a great habit to develop. Good job!

Sherri said...

That's a great idea - we need to do that with The Book of Mormon

Tiffany said...

I love that you let Tot follow along with her "real" Bible. I imagine that's something that will make her feel grown up and a part of things like Mom and Dad are.

princessmomma said...

That is a great family habit to have. I would like to add some kind of devotional or daily scripture reading into our morning routine as well.