Saturday, May 24, 2008

Smart Habit Saturday

Well, despite not posting in like forever, and being sick as two dogs, I actually have been doing pretty well in keeping up our Family Bible Time. The kids have been responding really well to it and I've been enjoying it so much. It's a great way to begin the day, I just have to remember to do it right after breakfast or their attention is completely lost.

So far, Tot has memorized two verses:

"Children obey your parents in the Lord for this is good" Ephesians 6:1
and
"Do everything without grumbling or complaining" Philippians 2:14.

I'm pretty impressed with her memorization skills. She's picking it up much, much faster than I anticipated and Dave and I agreed that we're going to start hitting the memory verses a little harder now that we know she can do it. It's also been an incredible discipline tool. Whenever Tot disobeys (which is so very often) we sit her down and have her say the first verse, then tell us how she disobeyed. Then we tell her what behavior we expect out of her, then we have her repeat the next verse and explain to us what it means. I have to get a video up of her doing it, too too cute. However, the camera is broken and in Best Buy's hands, hoping to get fixed.

But anyways, I think next weeks verse is going to be "For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son. That whoever believes in him will not die, but have eternal life." John 3:16. I know that's kindof a long one, but it's also relatively important. So far we've just done verses pertaining to behavior and I'd like her to start learning the why's of how we believe, you know?

So that's been our Family Bible Time. I've seen all of us doing a little better with our attitudes as we try to help Tot remember her verses. It reminds us, as well, and I'm glad for it.

How are you all doing with your habits?

***
For more Smart Habit Saturday go to The Lazy Organizer!

3 comments:

~Tami said...

It has not been consistent, but the kiddos and I have been reading in Proverbs, and have memorized two verses. My kiddos are nine and eleven. I'm getting a late start, but better late than never.

Way to go, Tot, for memorizing verses!

Becky Tucker said...

that is awesome! those are 2 verses that i should get luke to memorize.

and she can do it. luke's first memory verse in class to memorize last year (the 3 year old class) was...the entire Lord's prayer. and he still thinks he needs to say it every night and since we have done it so long, seth my 2.5 year old can say it.

so i KNOW she can!! i'm going to employ your tactics and get on with using more memory verses with discipline.

Tiffany said...

Great idea to make the verses "practical" ones! Way to go, Tot!

And rock on, Becky, with the Lord's Prayer! That's great for Luke and Seth!!!