Thursday, June 12, 2008

Apparently Some People Can Do This.

It's time for a confession.

Rarely, if ever, do I put the toilet paper on the toilet paper roll holder. It's not like I don't have the time, I mean, I'm in there as much as the next person, but I just don't ever do it. Instead, I leave the contraption totally bare and leave the roll on the counter or on the shelf. Dave doesn't seem to mind and thinks that I'm just trying to be efficient. Tot, on the other hand, disagrees.

You wouldn't think that a 3 1/2 year old would have definite opinions on toilet paper, but you'd be wrong. Tot is quite particular in this area. It's odd because she is obviously not particular in any other area of her life, she is the queen of Do Whatever Sounds Fun No Matter How Awkward And Messy. And so it was with much trepidation that I began potty training and teaching Tot the basic skills of cleaning up after herself and being a Big Girl figuring that we were in for a world of messy and gross things.

Apparently, I shouldn't have worried. The other week I brought Tot into the bathroom for a visit and noticed that we were out of toilet paper. And so I got a roll out of the cabinet and stuck it on the counter and proceeded to assist Tot out of her jeans (that I know I shouldn't bother with because of all buttons, but they are so cute that I'll do some extra work) and onto the potty. And while sitting there, she looks at me and says "Ugh, Mommy! You forgot to put the toilet paper back!" "Um, my bad." "Ugh, it's fine. I'll do it." And she does. Unlike other skills, which take Tot much longer than most kids to acquire, putting the toilet paper on the roll was done with the greatest of ease. We finished our business and she moved on.

But it was later that I noticed that whenever I left the roll out, it would magically put itself back on. Time after time this happened and I started to get a little weirded out. At first I thought I just had magic toilet paper, but while that is a cool thought, it's probably not an accurate representation of what was going on. I asked Dave if he was doing it, and he said no, he obviously didn't care about the lone roll in our bathroom - why would he worry about the one in the kids room? I agreed, and then it hit me.

Tot! Tot is the one doing this! She's been going to the bathroom on her own more often and while there it must bug the bejippers out of her and she puts it on the roll! HOW WEIRD! I mean, isn't this supposed to be a newly wed issue? Do you know of any other children that have definite toilet paper preferences? But it obviously bothers her so much that no matter how many times I leave the thing off, she puts it right back on.

Is this the same kid that regularly puts yogurt in her hair and eats off the floor?

5 comments:

Tiffany said...

I'm still stuck on the suggestion of magic toilet paper. Can you imagine the possibilties?

Nicole McIntyre said...

I guess it's all about your priorities...And seriously, who doesn't want to wear yogurt in their hair?

Amy Lu said...

I hate having the toilet paper on the holder. LM is just like Tot though. Seriously weird. Oh well, at least she's been trained to go around the house and pick up things so Nana and Papa doesn't complain :)

Lyndsay said...

Could tot come and give some lessons to my 7 year old. I'm a little like tot in this area so I've made it a chore for her to do. Only no matter how many times we practice it is still difficult for her. Oh well

Megan said...

Thx for stopping by-- I bookmarked your site because I came over & wanted to read MORE! :) Anyways, thanks too for entering my little giveaway! Can't wait to read your CVS thing in more depth (I was skimming, with fussy baby on lap)... it sounds confusing but sooo cool-- definitely a naptime read! Have a great weekend~*
-Megan