Monday, August 11, 2008

Small Break.

Again, I'll keep it short.

This morning my Tot got a hold of a sharpie (that I was actively using to address a package, it wasn't just lying around) and proceeded to mark on my coffee table, my tv, my entertainment center, my couch, another table, the kitchen table, the kitchen chairs, every.single.drawer front. in my kitchen, the fridge, the pantry door, the wall, the stove, and the vintage apron that I just bought. And herself. And then she told me "Wow, you sure have a lot of cleaning up to do."

Seriously.


So, I will be taking a break from the Napstravaganza to try and some how get all that crap off every available surface under four feet and trying to punish her in a calm and firm manner while not wringing her neck. You know, I thought Tot was behaving rather well lately....always calmest before the storm.

Sigh. :)

Update: The punishment was five spankings, 15 minutes of cleaning up the coffee table (that will never be clean again) and the rest of the day spent in her room. It seems that length of punishment, and not severity, is the only way to get through to her. She barely blinked at the spankings but cried her eyes out at the Room Sentence.

12 comments:

The Rhodes' said...

oh man bummer! try hairspray for the fabric items!

Anonymous said...

My son did the same thing and rubbing alcohol worked wonders

Unsinkable Kristen said...

Anonymous, I adore you. Like, name my next child after you adore you. The rubbing alcohol got the sharpie off the most important stuff (ie - the stark white fridge) and got most of it off everything else that the magic eraser didn't.

Seriously, I adore you.

Linda said...

I wish I could take credit for being anonymous...but I can't. But I'm glad something worked for you!!!

Robin said...

You always have to go and outdo me! Well, Tot has to outdo Peyton...I was referring to an incident in my comment on your previous post where Peyton marked all over my new 24 in flat panel computer monitor with a PENCIL and how fortunately I was able to get it off...but was having trouble punishing her calmly...you get the picture. Tot had to use a sharpie and on everything! I am so sorry...maybe this is why you guys will be in TX for 5 more years...God knows that Anderson can't handle both Peyton and Tot living in the same town! Hahaha I think you deserve another nap today!

Angela said...

Seriously horrible. I'm so glad that you updated in the comments by saying you've made good progress. Just try try try not to kill her, you'll get your payback later.

Amy Lu said...

send her to me. I'll take care of this behavior.

Anonymous said...

The rubbing alcohol tip was passed on to me by my Avon lady who happened to stop by while I was hysterical because of the sharpie all over my RENTAL house - her child had marked all over her brand new WHITE SATIN comforter. So I just passed it forward!

Sarah said...

I will give you a load of money if you name your next child Anonymous...although they'll get blamed for all kinds of things.

Cynthia said...

OHHHH..... I now know who anonymous is!!! And she knows all kinds of things. If you name your child after her, Unsinkable, you will have a Fan for life. :)

Jennifer said...

rubbing alcohol does work....and toothpaste works on hard surfaces too. Just make a paste and scrub with a stiff brush. My 2 yr old just did the same thing and I've got at least 75 stripes of perm marker on my overstuffed chair. It will take me forever to get it out, IF it will come out. Good luck! (you can see a post about this exact thing on my blog!)

Nicole McIntyre said...

I hadn't thought of rubbing alcohol. I was going to suggest nail polish remover. That's what I always used back in the good old teaching days.