Thursday, August 14, 2008

Thankful Thursday/ Homeschool Plans

I am thankful for one giant thing today - I just ordered Tot's curriculum!

While I probably won't blog about this all the time, because that would be boring, I did want to let you all know our school plans and exactly how we would be doing this Homeschool thing. I operated under a lot of preconceived notions regarding homeschools right up until we decided to do it ourselves and I'd like to let people see for themselves how this works out for us.

We will officially start school the first week of September, unless our curriculum is slow getting here and I am currently debating whether or not I want to do five days a week or four. Tot loves "practicing school", and has been chomping at the bit to get started, so I am leaning towards five days.

We are working with a prepackaged curriculum this year called Sonlight, and I'm really excited. Another friend of mine uses it for her older girls and let me go through all the materials and the next few years of stuff and I loved it. This particular program is very reading based, and probably 80% of the curriculum is non consumable (ie - actual books, not workbooks). What I like best, however, is that it's almost dummy proof, and I tend to be a dummy. There is a lesson plan book, teachers manual, and everything is written out exactly. For some one who is an experienced teacher, who has planned their own curriculum before, this would probably be limiting, if not irritating. However, I often get paralyzed by too many choices and it's nice to have it spelled out for me. Once I'm a little further along, I'll probably do more tailoring to suit our needs, but for this first year I'm exceptionally grateful for all the help.

I am really interested to see how this year goes with a more formal outline. I think Tot will have so much fun and I think Little David will enjoy all the reading, too. We're starting Tot with the P4/5 program and next year I'll probably have Little David go start next year with P3/4 and move Tot into the Kindergarten level.


So, those are the loose plans and I am pretty geeked to get started.


Speaking of geeked, here is what I'm thankful this week, homeschool style:

I am thankful that Dave is not only supportive of this homeschooling thing, but that it was partly his idea in the first place. Not everyone who home schools has such an interested husband.

I am thankful that we are financially able to pay for our materials in cash, and not incur debt to do this. Dave Ramsey would be so proud!

I am thankful that even though I wonder about how sane I will stay while teaching the Tot, God has given Dave and I a very strong sense of assurance that this is what we are supposed to be doing.

And finally, I am thankful that I will continue to be able to sleep in until whenever the kids let me as opposed to waking up at the butt crack of whenver to get them to school.


Also, I'm pretty sure this is the first time I've blogged the words " butt crack". Good times.

6 comments:

Emily said...

Congratulations on your homeschooling endeavors! I was homeschooled from 3rd grade through high school graduation and loved it. My husband and I are considering doing it with our son once he hits school age as well.

Amy Lu said...

according to a word search on your blog...this is indeed the first time you've blogged "butt crack"

Linda said...

Your friend amy lu did a search on your blog for "butt crack"? Falling out of my chairrofl

Amy Lu said...

yes, I am that awesome :)

Luke said...

Woo-hoo! Welcome to Sonlight! May this year "rock, rock on."

~Luke

Wardeh @ Such Treasures said...

Yay! We loved that year of Sonlight! Enjoy~Love, Wardeh