Monday, October 20, 2008

Back In The Day Posts

I'll be out of pocket this week, enjoying some cooler weather and a handful of mountains, so for your reading enjoyment, this week I'll be posting some of the posts from my very first year of blogging, circa 2005. Well, okay, not circa, exactly 2005. Anyways...

May 3, 2005 - The Very First Post

Well, I figured that since I am home all day with our little Tot, that I would jump on the Xanga bandwagon and get my own site. It's been great to see what the guys have all been up to, so I thought I'd let the world into my life as a stay at home mom.

I just realized today at lunch time how little credit I was giving my daughter . We were embarking upon the world of broccoli and chicken baby food and shortly thereafter we entered into a battle of wills. I knew she needed vegetables. She knew she thought they tasted like crap. If I were to be truly honest, I wouldn't blame her. Who wants to eat pureed broccoli and chicken at room temperature while strapped to a wooden chair?

Not I.

Regardless, it was vegetables she needed, so vegetables she was going to get. I poked the spoon. She pursed her lips. I stressed, she cried. I retreated. She cried some more. I got out the camera figuring that if nothing else I could get a funny crying baby picture. But the moment I tried to capture her rage, she saw the camera and broke out into the most beautiful smile you have ever seen. The little rat. I put the camera down hoping to swiftly put some food in her mouth but the moment the camera was down she started to cry again. We repeated this about five more times before I gave up.

The score? Taylor - 1 Mom - 0. This was not shaping up to be a good meal.

I retreated back to the pantry when inspiration struck in the form of advice from my own mother. Trick her. Yes, that's the idea. I will play with her mind! I got a jar of her favorite fruit (pureed apples and plums. yech.) and proceeded towards her. She was still crying, but I knew I had her right where I wanted her. I slipped a spoonful of plums in her mouth and she looked up with suprise and I detected a slight gleam of victory in her eyes. If she only knew. Then I doubled back into the broccoli and chicken and when she anticipated the plums and opened her mouth willingly I slipped the offending food in. Hah!! Victory! I worked this Mommy Magic a few more times, switching between the foods, and then she caught on. But not before a half jar of broccoli and chicken was emptied.

Score? Taylor - 1 Mom - 1. I am on my way.

No comments: