Monday, December 08, 2008

Internet Fast.

If you are coming over here from Sarah Mae's blog, do forgive my impeccable timing of taking a break right as she told you to visit me! I'm a total dweeb and forgot that she was featuring me. Ugh. Anyways, have a peeksie through my archives and I hope you wait for my return! Although, I totally understand if you don't. I mean, it's not like you know me. For all you know, I could really suck at this.
***

So, it's that time again. You know, the break time. The time where I tell you all that I need a little bit of space from the blog. It's not about needing space from you, more that once again I have realized that my priorities are a little out of whack and that it probably isn't healthy, productive, or Godly to spend hoards of time at my computer while my children are dirty, hungry and crying.

Well, maybe it isn't that dramatic, but you get me.

Once again, I have hit the point where I've been using the internet as a crutch. This time it's not so much in escapism as much as I have realized that there are a freaking TON of awesome blogs out there and homeschool resources. I mean, seriously. Have you ever visited Preschoolers And Peace ? It's incredible. Have you ever browsed Blissfully Domestic? Good grief, I could spend a year there. And while you are there, take a look at their blog rolls. For the love of Pete I could spend my lifetime going through all the neat things and great ideas and inspirational stories that people blog about.

And that, my friends, is why I need a break.

After awhile, I realized that I have been spending a buttzillion hours reading about fantastic things and not doing any of them! It's like trying to read every Works For Me Wednesday post at Rocks In My Dryer. You know it's all awesome, and you know there is just not enough time in the world.

So, in response, I will not be blogging until December 22.

But why? Why, Unsinkable, would you remove your very presence from our lives?? We NEED YOU!

Oh wait. That was me projecting. My bad.

I'm going to take a break from the internet so that I can breathe for a second and do some of those things that I've been thinking would be awesome. Like an embroidery project, some lapbooks with the Tot, a little nature walk or two, and maybe even a new recipe. I know that I'm only going to be out of pocket for about two weeks, but I'm hoping that at the end of that time I will have answered the following questions for myself:

What priority should my computer time take? Is it something that needs to be taken care of the first thing in the morning? Or can it be a treat at the end of the day when the kids are asleep?

Can I be trusted to check my email at naptime, or will I cave and spend the rest of the afternoon looking at different ways to spray paint furniture while I let the kids watch too much tv?

What needs to be done around the house before I "hop online for a second"?

And finally, where is the balance between reading & learning about great ideas and actually doing them? It's not enough to just know about things, at least for me it's not. I want to say that not only did I read that totally rad post about sprouting microgreens, but that I tried it, too.


So, there you have it. My four-fold plan for figuring out how to balance my actual life and my internet perusing. I will be doing a lot of praying about this and I hope to be back and more Unsinkable than ever on December 22. Ta ta, my good fellows and have a wonderful fortnight!


Author's Note: Did you see what I did here? I totally slipped you all a buttzillion blogs to look at while you mourn my presence in your blog feeder. I know, brilliant.

10 comments:

Sarah Mae said...

Dude, you signed off on the day you were FEATURED!!! It's cool though, totally respect you! :)

I'll miss ya and can't wait for your return!

Friend Chick said...

You will definitely be missed, but in the meantime, you work on growing that baby and playing with your kiddos! ENJOY your family!

Dana said...

well said. i think the tough part really is allowing ourselves the freedom to not feel like we're missing out or being bad friends if we don't read every blog on our blogroll.

Unsinkable Kristen said...

AHH!! Sarah I totall forgot!! I'm such a loser!!

christinnjon said...

Oh my goodness you totally spoke to my heart! There are some days that I just get sucked in to reading and reading and reading because there is SO much to read! There will always be a ton to read. I need to put some limits on too as well as DO some of those cool things out there! What an enligtenment....to actually DO some of the things I keep saying I want to do! Well, yea, can't DO them if I only keep reading about how everyone else is doing them and wishing I could do them too. Ok, did I confuse you?
Anyways, enjoy your time off! I'm adding you to my blog roll so I can *remember* to visit again! (I have a terrible memory!)

Laura said...

Yes, yes! ENJOY your time away! And we will all be back... probably on Dec. 21st just in case you cave and return early. But you won't. Stay strong! Keep embroidering those sprouts!!

Tiffany said...

Dude, you know I love you. Shoot a text my way if you need to communicate with the outside world. You're limited to 160 characters and I feature no hyperlinks with my number, so there is no way you'll spend more than 30 seconds doing it...unles you're composing a text haiku.

Which would totally rock.

But for the purposes of your blog sabbatical, I will strictly forbid it.

Gayle said...

I will miss you while you're taking a break... but I totally understand what you are doing. I homeschooled for 11 years and I know how the things we want to do add up. I have a ton of great books you'd love! If you want them... let me know. I was the lapbooking/notebooking queen! =) Nature studies was also a favorite of mine and my boys. Hugs. Gayle

Jen - Balancing beauty and bedlam said...

So proud of you for doing the right thing. This new little internet world can be a time sucker and for us home school moms, that is definitely not a good thing (and that is why I said I needed to be getting up at 5am...so I can do both but that still doesn't always happen).

Debra said...

Okay, so here's my question ... if it's an "internet fast," doesn't that include my space? I'm just saying ... :)