Thursday, January 08, 2009

Traveling Soldier

Tonight, Dave gets home from a five day/four night business trip in Northwest Arkansas (where he travels to weekly) and then tomorrow he has to wake up and catch a plane to Denver where he'll have a "Lunch & Learn" meeting with a client. Immediately after that, he'll fly back home just in time to crash in bed. Yes, that means he's been traveling everyday this week. And then, Sunday night he'll drive up to Arkansas again for the next week. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Not every family is set up to have a husband travel so much. I certainly didn't think that we were. Dave and I love being together and have never wanted to be apart much. I was hesitant about him taking this job because of all the traveling, but we knew he needed to take it. Since then, I've gotten to see how great of a man I married. When he's gone, he works hard. Long hours, late nights, and few breaks. But he never forgets to call me a few times a day, to text me something funny, to send me funny pictures on the phone, and to chat with the kids. When he's home, he's home. He is fully present with us and doesn't bring his work home. He makes sure the kids each get plenty of Daddy time and that I get plenty of husband time. And when you add my pregnant hormoney-ness in the mix, you get a guy that makes sure the house is stocked with snacks before he leaves and that I've had plenty of down time. I don't know many men that could handle such a large work load with such ability and sweetness.

And so today, for thankful Thursday, I am thankful for my Traveling Soldier. He's the best, most rockin' husband in the whole world, no matter how busy his job makes him or how much he has to travel. I would never want anyone else.

Love you, Toots!

1 comment:

taralynn819 said...

Whoever washes their hair twice anyhow?