I love winter. I love the cold weather. I also love it for short periods of time, just like we get here in Texas. We probably get 20 days of "real" winter weather a year where I'm at, and that suits me just fine. It's enough to break up the monotony of the sunshine and warmth, that while awesome, can get a little boring. And in the heat of the summer, when I'm dying for some clouds and rain, I remember that in the winter I'll get just enough to make me happy and not enough to drive me bonkers. Like I've said before - Texas is the Promised Land.
And so, in celebration of what I expect will be about 4 days of wintery-type weather here, my Tuesday Favorites is going to be all about my favorite parts of winter! On y va (that's French for let's go. It was the title of my highschool french text book and it is one of five phrases and some bad words that I remember).
1. Wearing my green beanie hat. I have the cutest, most stylish big green floppy winter hat from Steve Madden that I bought last year at Macy's with a gift card. I never would have bought it with my own money, but since it was a gift I splurged. Now every time it gets the slightest big cold I get crazy excited that I'll get to wear my fancy hat. Dave laughs at me, because normally I'm not the most fashion conscious person, but this hat SPOKE to me. And I'll keep wearing it long after it's fashionable because I think it' so fun.
2. The heated mattress pad on my bed. Dave and I (well, really just me) have been wanting a heating blanket for years now, but never can bite the bullet and buy one because they are just so freakishly expensive. I mean, really, I'm not going to pay $75 for a blanket unless it can make me a snack. So, anyways, we went to Linens N Things while it was going out of business and found a heated mattress pad for about $20. We were stoked until we put it on our mattress and realized that it really only heats the top 1/8th of the bed (you know, right under the pillows) and only takes the chill off of the rest of it. But, it is more than we had and I have grown to adore climbing into a slightly warm bed and sticking my arms under my pillows to get to the real warmth. The other benefit to this is that neither Dave nor I gets over heated. It may not be the most toasty to climb into, but it does make the perfect middle of the night snuggling temperature.
3. Fleece. I love fleece and you can't wear it in the summer without sweating all over yourself. And I hate sweat. Good thing I'm going to be nine months pregnant at the end of July in Texas, huh? But for now, I get to snuggle up in the fleece blankets, the fleece jackets, the fleece socks and did you know that you can buy fleece sheets now? That's a little much even for me, but still, it's the thought that counts.
4. Snow Ice Cream. My pappaw made this for us every year and I still dream about it. Regular ice cream is great - but it's totally not the same. A little snow, a little milk, a little hershey's syrup = wintertime gold.
5. Heating clothes over floor vents. Whenever I was little(er) we would go and play in the snow, or we'd go run errands and when we would get home we would put our mittens and socks over the floor vents to dry out. I would always sneak a pair of underwear on them when no one was looking so that I could change into a warm pair of underpants, too - who doesn't like warm underoos??
So there you have it - my favorite things about wintertime. What are yours??