Sunday, February 22, 2009

Sabbath

The past few months have been exhausting. Our family has had to deal with a whole lot that we didn't sign up for and a lot that we did. Most of it has been pleasant (i.e. The Baby) and some of it not quite as pleasant (i.e. The Traveling Job), but regardless as a family: We Are Tired.

I noticed that we were getting tired a few weeks ago on a Sunday morning. I got up and just didn't want to go to church. It wasn't that I didn't want to worship, or that I lacked some feeling for our church family, more that I knew that Dave was going to be leaving in just a few hours and our weekend had already been filled to the brim with all of those activities that happen on Saturdays and there had been not enough down time. I just couldn't bear the thought of packing the family up to go to church where we would spend most of that time in four different locations over the course of three hours. I can't remember the last time I just didn't want to go to church. Not only do I love the church we have attended for almost 6 years, I love going anywhere and worshiping God with other believers and getting that battery recharged. But that day, it didn't feel like a recharge. It felt like one other thing to check off, one more time for us all to be apart serving in different places, one more moment we didn't get to be together as a family.

If it were just taking a break from serving, we would have just taken a step back from our commitments, however, it's more than that. It's the entire Sabbath. Sunday had turned from a day of rest for us into a day of go-go-go. And when we combined that with the rest of our week, which revolved around Dave spending most of the week in Arkansas and the kids and I spending most of the week in Texas, me pregnant and homeschooling, and a few trips to see my Mom or to visit Dave during the week thrown in, well, as I said - Our family was tired.

And so, it was with great difficulty that Dave and I came to a decision. We have decided to leave our home church for a short time and rest. We plan on returning, because we love our church family there, but for now we are currently attending a neighboring church that holds a service on Saturday night. We spend our Saturdays checking off all those to-do lists we accumulated during the week and spending time as a family cleaning up around the house and getting things done and running errands or hanging out with friends.

When evening comes, we go to church and spend the final hours of the day worshiping, sometimes as a family, sometimes just Dave and I with the kids in their classes. We recharge those batteries and we start what we feel is our real Sabbath. Dave's family attends this church as well, so we are able to spend even more time with our family and we get to worship and learn with them, something we've missed. We can go to dinner together after the service has ended or we can stay and chat at the church.

And then on Sunday, we rest. We rest in the Lord and we rest as a family. We sleep in late, we cook breakfast and nibble together, we make no plans. We don't stay in different rooms and we don't go out running errands all over town. We don't fix things and we don't pack things.

We rest.

And while we rest, we pray and are grateful that God allowed us the knowledge that in this season of our lives, while we are spending so much time apart, resting with each other was more important than anything else. To stay close as a family, to keep our marriage strong, and to keep our minds from bursting, we needed to rest together and rest in Him.

7 comments:

Beth said...

That is exactly why we started going to the church we go to now, because they offer a Saturday night service.
I loved the time spent together on Sunday mornings.
However, soon another season came in our life and that was one of service, David taught a Sunday School class and eventually started playing guitar on Sunday morning, and I began working in the nursery.
I am so thankful for those Saturday nights.
Our Sat. night service is called "The Well". As a reminder to those who gather there that it is a time of reflection and refreshing.

Kyla said...

It sounds like the Lord has placed a lot on your plate, but in doing so, He will give you the strength and comfort you need to make it through this tough time. It sounds like you're finding your way.

I'll be praying for you and your family! Keep resting in Him!

Tiffany said...

I'm so glad that you've found a way to reclaim your Day of Rest. I've been thinking a great deal about the concept of Sabbath lately, and I think it's really interesting that your family has found a solution that allows you to honor God through both worship and rest.

Jen said...

I don't know how you do it! I am glad that you found this God sent solution.

Have a nice week!

The Garrett's said...

I love the Saturday night service for all of the reasons you mentioned. You're not going to the Met, are you? :) Just thought I'd check!

Sarah said...

Way to keep your priorities in order. We try to keep our Sundays unplanned and restful. Our church is practically next door to us, and that helps a lot. But scheduling and lists of things to do seem to always creep in on us. I'm glad you and Dave are choosing to be intentional about the God-intended rest that your family needs.

Anonymous said...

Kristen-
I will be praying for God to provide balance and rest in your life. Right now, you and David are in a season that is difficult with days of separation. I will continue to lift your marriage to God for a covering of protection. Your family is a vital part of the family at Southlake Church. We love you! I am truly sorry for not being aware of the fatigue you are encountering right now. Please let us know if there is anything we can do for your during this period of sabbath. As a member of your church family, I want you to know we will miss you and continue to pray "rest" during this season.

I love your family!

Peace