Monday, March 09, 2009

Sigh.















It's just such a lovely day today.


The weather is simply screaming "SPRING!" from every corner and it makes my heart so happy I could just burst. It's in the low 70's this morning, overcast, and a little damp. It's supposed to rain this week and you can see it in the clouds. The Bradford Pears are all blooming and changing from flowers to leaves and the rest of the trees are slowly letting their buds unfurl.

Every creature that can make noise is doing it. I wake up in the middle of the night to hear owls hooting, crickets chirping, and birds cooing lowly. The wind blows through the trees and it's like my own personal symphony singing me back to sleep. And the music never stops. From the time I open my eyes, until the time I go to sleep, if I listen for even a moment I can hear it all. It's the most perfect background sound.

The coming of Spring seems to have had a calming effect on all of my family. The kids are a little less restless because they have spent hours and hours outside everyday exploring all the new growth, digging for dinosaur bones, climbing trees, and peeing in the grass (they are my kids, after all). Dave is happier on the days that he's home because he gets fresh air and nature and a break from the inside of an office building. We spend more time as a family and less time cooped up watching TV. I am calmer because apparently there is something about the fresh air that my body just craves and it's like a miracle drug when I get it. The windows are always, always open. We are outside as much as possible, and when I look around at my backyard I am so very thankful for it. It's so very peaceful and calming, regardless of how many neighbors we have. There is room for the kids to run, shade for Dave and I to sit under, and large, mature trees for the birds to nest in and the squirrels to play on. There are butterflies, ants, caterpillars, and an occasional field mouse that completes our little haven. When I feel my blood pressure rise for whatever reason, all I have to do is walk outside and I immediately feel better.

Now I can see the thunderstorms blowing in and I know that we'll have a few days of Spring showers and cold breezes. But when it's over Texas will be beautiful. The grass will be greener, there will be more leaves then there were even a week before, the Bluebonnets will be out, and the flowers will be everywhere.

There is nothing prettier than Spring in Texas.

4 comments:

Nicole McIntyre said...

I miss bluebonnets. I bought a pack of seeds yesterday and we'll give it a go, but it's just not the same as the fields and fields I saw growing up.

Diana said...

Seriously. So. Jealous.

Sarah said...

Amen to what Nikki said (minus the "I bought a pack of seeds" part).

I've been opening the windows to my house, too. Michael has hit the bike trail a couple of days in a row, and I've been taking Layla on extended walks. It's too beautiful to be inside! Of course, soon the lovely green pollen will rear it's ugly head in Atlanta and my windows will go down for awhile. But I'm going to enjoy this weather and no-pollen-state while I can!

Sarah said...

it's = its

Ugh.