Thursday, March 26, 2009

Thankful Thursday

It's a good day today, reader friends. Here's why:

1. I got tons of great advice from you all regarding my exceptionally messy Tot. Dave and I have put together some of our favorites that we plan on using when we switch the kids rooms. In about two weeks, we'll be setting up the crib (!!) in Tot's room and turning the playroom back into Little David's room. Both rooms will be getting a thorough decluttering and cleaning and part of that will be taking stock of all the toys and setting them into usable buckets and bins and putting them in a rotation. I've already got something like that going on right now, but half of my problem is that we keep coloring stuff and papers in the playroom and paper is where she really makes her mess. So, the solution to that is a small kitchen island with cabinets that will fit right into this small space in our kitchen. The cabinets will be LOCKED, so so locked, and that is where we'll keep all the paper, pencils, crayons, markers and schoolbooks and supplies. I hate that I have to supervise even her coloring, but my word, kid has left me with no choice. I'm thinking that the new room arrangements and the lack of a space that is meant to be destroyed will help. Plus, she is totally geeked about sharing a room with The Baby and has promised up and down and sideways to keep her room clean. We'll be trying to make that as easy for her as possible. Wow, that was a long paragraph. And I use the word paragraph loosely.

2. I am thankful for the hot tea that I'm drinking. Since Dave got his kidney stones (or "potty rocks" as Tot calls them), he's been trying to cut back on the caffeine. So, he heats up a pot of water in the coffee maker and then uses it to make one cup of french press coffee as opposed to the 10 cups he used to drink. This enables me to use the rest of the water to make a nice cup of herbal tea for the morning. My cuppa choice lately has been Tension Tamer from Celestial Seasonings. Shocker.

3. I am thankful that it's raining and has been the last day or so. It has cooled things off nicely and made everything a lovely green, and even though I love the sunny weather and hot temps, a cool rainy spring always reminds me of Indiana. Even though I really don't care for early spring there (so cloudy and cold and muddy), I love late spring/early summer. It gets warmer and all the thunderstorms roll in and all I can think of is sitting on my grandparents back porch and hearing the storm roll around and seeing the deep, dark green of the grass and giant trees surrounding their home. You can hear the birds still singing and the rain through the leaves. Perfection. So of course, when Texas tried to mimic it, I'm always appreciative.

4. I am thankful for going to church last night at our home church. Although Dave and I have been loving our break, and really enjoying the Saturday night service at his parents church, we miss our church and our friends a lot. So we went there last night for Wednesday service and we are so glad we did. It was great to see everyone and we got to hear a pretty cool presentation on the Passover by Jews for Jesus. Since I have maybe one Jewish friend, and that is really more of an acquaintance than a real friendship, I enjoyed learning things I have never been exposed to.

5. I am thankful that I am gaining weight and that The Baby is thumping and bumping around like a champ. There will be a Fetus Friday tomorrow, I promise!

6. I am thankful that Dave has been home all week. It stinks that he had The Stones, and that we couldn't go to Arkansas with him this week and therefore make it to Missouri to visit my grandparents, but it has been so wonderful having him home all day every day and to get so much time together. We got to go on another real day this past Saturday (I have the best in-laws) and we've gotten to watch tv together on a weeknight!! Craziness. The kids have been soaking up their Daddy time and every meal we eat, they fight over who gets to sit by him and then they pull their chairs up as close as humanly possible to his chair and eat their meals all up in his business and then hug all over him and slime him with their grimey hands and face. Awesome. The traveling has been getting better, and his schedule has been getting lighter, but nothing is as nice as having him home. It's always better when we're together.

7. I am thankful for Sprouts. For those of you that don't live in one of four states where this store is located, think of Trader Joe's but a little less cool. And for those of you who don't live near a Trader Joe's (like me :( ), think of the BEST GROCERY STORE EVER and then double it. Sprouts is a farmers market that sells health food, vitamins, etc. And if anyone in your family has allergies, then they have stuff for that - aisles of gluten free things, soy free, peanut free, whatever-else-you-can't-have-free. But the big deal is it's grocery store. The have the best. produce. ever. And the best meats. And the best bulk foods. I have never been to a store that has better produce with better prices. Sprouts always has cheaper produce than Kroger and has better sales on better meats than Kroger does, too. It's so good, that I drive 20 minutes to get to their store even though I have 6 grocery stores and a small farmers market within 5 miles of my home. Just yesterday I bought Kiwi's for .10 a piece, oranges for .25 a piece, Strawberries for 1.50 a box, Chicken breasts (the most GIANT never frozen beautiful cuts ever) for 1.99 a pound, and I had to stay away from all the other veggies because I had some at home that I needed to use but I wanted to buy bell pepper for .49 a piece and apples for .77 a pound. Sigh. It makes cooking fresher and healthier a lot easier and cheaper. It is a love based on giving and receiving as well as having and sharing. Sorry. Random Friends quote.

8. And I am most thankful today for my Gramps because today is his 75th birthday! We had hoped to be up there for the celebration, but had to stay here. I hope you have a great birthday, Gramps! Love you!!

1 comment:

MamaHen Em said...

I love all the things you are thankful for. It's nice to take stock of the little things, like hot water for tea and Grandpa's having birthday's!