Thursday, April 30, 2009

5 Habits Of The Highly Pregnant Unsinkable: Habitual Update

At the beginning of the month I set out some habits that I wanted to work on during April to prepare our household for the arrival of the new little one. Here's how it's going (and no, the picture really has nothing to do with this, but it is funny :) ):

Habit #1: The Morning Report

Meh. I've been getting up earlier, making a hot breakfast each morning, and doing much better in general attitude-wise, however, I still haven't been getting up before the kids. I will note that our mornings have been much nicer and we've all been in better moods as a whole, but there is still room for improvement.

Habit #2: Internet Limits

Hahahahaha. Again, I've done much better (including stepping back from blogging a little, in case you'd noticed) but I haven't gotten quite to the goal I desired. I've been spending more time doing things up and around the house, which has a lot to do with just having more energy in general, and so I haven't been on the internet near as much. But still, I'm falling pretty short of my original goal.

Habit #3: Daily Read Aloud

Now this I've actually done great at. The kids and I read an average of 30-40 minutes a day together. Like I mentioned on Monday, we are reading through Little House on the Prairie and they are loving it. It helps that the kids are actually interested in reading and that they really do want to sit and listen. We've been making weekly trips to the library and loading up on books (seriously, loading up. I don't know how we get them all in one trip.) and then each day we read a few of them in addition to the Little House book. Score for the Unsinkable on actually achieving a goal!

Habit #4: Rest Time

Oh yes, I've totally been doing this. I've actually been taking a real live nap most days, in fact. I really am just getting that tired and the nap time is such sweet splendor. I try not to sleep too long (so I don't wake up grumpy) and it's been fantastic. Little David normally naps two hours, and Tot has been doing great at having "quiet time" in her room and letting me sleep without tearing the house down. Score number two for the Unsinkable!

Habit #5: Thoughtful Grocery Shopping

We'll give this one a "meh". I've done better at shopping at our farmers market more and at cooking more, but I'm still a little lacking in the actually-ingesting-more-healthy-food thing. Today, though, I did get a whole bunch of food and snacks I'm pretty excited about, and I've pretty much cleaned the house of all candy, so hopefully I can keep this ball rolling.


So there is the update (I know, scintillating). I'm going great on two, meh on two, and yuck on one. Not too shabby! I think that I chose some good ones to work with and I can see a definite difference in how our house is running. May's goals will be two-fold - working on getting better at April's goals and starting two new ones. I'll post May's goals tomorrow since I can't really think of two I want to start right now :)

What are you working on lately?




1 comment:

Debra said...

Okay, I am right there with you on the "thoughtful grocery shopping." Now that we are a bit farther out in the promised land, I am called to cook more and be more intentional in meal planning, as fast food and grocery are not so close by! :) It's all good! I stole your widget idea and put the growing baby on my blog ... I thought it was kind of fun! Love you!