Monday, June 29, 2009

Season Of Routines

There are some times when having a routine is not feasible. There are times when you just need to fly by the seat of your pants and deal with what comes. For me, now is SO not one of those times.

Being mucho pregnant, I have found that I have a severe case of Baby Brain and if it's not spelled out in front of me I will (will.) forget it. That being said, Dave and I have been talking and thinking on routines that keep our house running smoothly and give me the least amount of room to totally forget to wash all of his underwear or plan dinner while I'm baking a person or taking care of a newly arrived one. Here are the things that work for us:

Daily
- One load of dishes
- One load of laundry
- One room good and clean

Laundry

Monday - Sheets/Towels
Tuesday - Tot's Clothes
Wednesday - Our Whites
Thursday - Our Colors
Friday - Little David's Clothes
Saturday - Bulk Items (jeans, etc.)
Sunday - Off (For now, when the baby is born, I'll probably rework this and toss her stuff in here)

Cleaning

Monday - Kitchen
Tuesday - Living Room/Office
Wednesday - Kid's Rooms
Thursday - Kid's Bathroom
Friday - Master Bedroom
Saturday - Master Bathroom
Sunday - Off

Eating

Breakfasts - Cereal, Muffins, or Waffles
Lunches - Sandwiches, Fruit, Veggie
Dinners -
Monday - Chicken
Tuesday - Mexican
Wednesday - Leftovers
Thursday - Dave Cooks (!!)
Friday - Pizza (Homemade, Frozen, Order Out)
Saturday - Out
Sunday - Pasta


Some of these plans we've been doing for a while now (like my daily tasks, the laundry schedule and the cleaning schedule) and they have made the biggest difference. The one we are working on right now is the Dinner Plan. We've gotten into good routines with breakfast and with lunch, but I have still been stuck at dinner time. More often than not, I totally forget to plan anything and then realize that all of our meat is in the freezer and I end up ordering out. Not horrible, but it is a drain on the grocery budget. So, last night Dave and I talked and hammered out a good routine for our family which should provide us with good meals each night, and give me enough breathing room. I don't particularly enjoy cooking (I don't hate it or anything, I just infinitely prefer baking) and so coming up with something new all the time is not fun for me. Apparently, Dave doesn't even sort of care what food I serve him as long as there is a plan and I'm not scrambling around at the end of the day stressed out. So we came up with this and I'll let you know how it goes.

All of this to say, obviously, we are in a Season of Routines. With the coming of a third child, it's just not in my abilities to fly by the seat of my pants and do what is in front of me. If that were the case, I would always have clean countertops and we would never have clean laundry. So, slowly and steadily, we are crafting routines (NOT schedules) that fit our particular family in this particular season to make things run smoothly. Because at the end of the day, I like knowing that my dishes are done, there are no insurmountable laundry piles, dinner for the week is planned, and I can relax in a room that has been cleaned well at least once that week.

And we all know that if Mom is happy, the rest of the family follows along closely.

3 comments:

Debra said...

I am feeling you with the routines. Can't even wrap my mind around a routine, but working on it! :) Still adjusting to the reality that there is another little one coming into our family. What an amazing blessing!

taralynn819 said...

I realized that one big reason I favor baking over cooking (besides feeding the sugar craving!) is the lack of pressure.

If I make a pan of brownies and severely overbake them or forget the eggs or something, no big deal. You can always pop out the Blue Bunny and drizzle with Hershey's.

BUT, if you burn dinner or forget to defrost meat (argh!) then you're pretty much screwed. I've just very recently (why I don't know) learned to keep at least three freezer starter meals available for these emergencies. Grab a few filets of frozen tilapia, steam some broccoli and break out trusty Uncle Ben's, and your meal is complete in under 25 minutes. (Eat your heart out, Rachel Ray!) I try not to rely on these meals, but I am SO thankful to have them on hand!

But see what I mean? With dinner there is pressure. Your hungry brood is counting on you. Chocolate chip cookies? Absolutely NO pressure - except maybe to stop eating them!

I am totally with you on the schedule, and we don't even have kids yet!

A Fancher said...

Routines are almost a total necessity at this point. I need a routine, Jarrod needs a routine (even though he HATES schedules) and the kids need a routine. Everything runs a little smoother and I think it even keeps the kids a little happier when they know what to expect and we're not all scatter-brained.

Let me know how your dinner schedule goes b/c I hate planning meals. I do not like to cook, but I'll bake you fancy stuff anytime you want.

I may try your laundry schedule. I haven't been feeling all that hot with the all-day sickness and lugging the laundry upstairs is not fun. I didn't do any laundry while my Dad was here b/c his bed is usually where it goes when it comes out of the dryer until it gets put away. So, I got to here about it Sat. when Jarrod had to guy buy underwear b/c his hadn't been washed.