Monday, September 21, 2009

Green Smoothie Extravaganza!

I'm sure that doesn't sound near as appealing as last week's Fall Extravaganza, but there it is.

My little Alli-Gator is now two months old, and physically I'm feeling mostly back to normal. I've got loads of energy (thank you Super Mom Vitamins!!), nursing is going well, and I have most of the baby weight off. Most, but not all.

There sits, on my stomach and hips and boobs, nine pounds of stubborn baby weight. It will. not. budge. I've been trying to eat well, indulging in only the occasional whole batch of cookies, and doing yoga twice a week (except for this week), and trying to sleep enough (well, as much as you can with a new-ish baby). Hmmmm.... so there is a little room for improvement. And let's face it, at this point my body has been through more changes in a five year period than Terrel Owens has been through NFL teams. I've gone from pregnant to recovering to overweight to decent weight to pregnant to recovering, "et cetera et cetera et cetera". It's unreasonable to expect miracles, especially when I'm not going to go to a gym and I'm not going to devote hours to cooking. And that is where this Extravaganza comes in!

I have followed the author of Happy Foody for a few years now, her name is Sara and she has the most rockin' dreads and I love reading her blogs. She is a proponent of raw, vegan eating and I view reading her blog to be not unlike driving in a really interesting neighborhood at dark, and peeking through the undrawn curtains. I'm probably never going to eat all vegan (LOVE me some cheese) and I'll probably never eat a wholly raw diet (LOVE me some cooked anything), but there is a whole different way of eating/living out there and I find it mighty interesting to peek at. She doesn't make it look weird, gross, or inconvenient - just yummy. And she's a Christian, so it's nice to read her writing from that perspective. Also, I envy her dreads like you wouldn't believe. Someday I will be brave enough to dread my hair. They are just. so. cute. I think I'll grow my hair out really long, dread it, leave it for awhile, and then chop it all off in that pixie cut I've also been envying. My word. Nose piercing. Cloth diapering. Homeschooling. Dreads. Green Smoothies. If I start smelling like patchouli someone really needs to pull me aside.

Anyways, whilst I was blogstalking, I came across Sara's Happy Foody 30 Day Green Smoothie Challenge and my reader-friends, it spoke to me. This is a challenge about ridding your body of yucky things, not forcing your body to be something it isn't. It's about changing your habits so you want to eat more whole and natural foods, not pushing yourself to see how perfect you can be.

And so, I'm hopping on the 30 Day Green Smoothie Challenge. Sara's group challenge just ended this last week, but I'm starting it today. You can get more information from her website, Happy Foody, but here is the gist of what I'm doing, and what you are more than welcome to join me in:
  • Drink at least 16 oz. of green smoothie per day (a quart would be even better!)
  • Do some sort of activity every day. This could be an intense workout, or just dancing with your kids around the living room. It could be a 15 minute yoga session or a walk around the block.
  • Add a green leafy salad to your lunch or supper (with light dressing…stay away from the creamier sauces).
  • Stop drinking pop. (UK: Sweet Mother - this means no DDP - eek!)
  • Cut out all white sugar.
I know! It's a little insane, isn't it?? But, I'm already drinking at least 16oz of green smoothie a day, so really it's only the last four things. And those really are a kicker. Yeesh. I figure that I can count my yoga twice a week, and the rest of the days I can do walks around the block with the Dave and/or the kids. It won't be a hardship to add a green leafy salad (but it may be a hardship to cut out my ranch dressing), and I might be able to trudge through the month with no DDP. But NO white sugar?? Is she nuts? Am I nuts?? Why yes, yes I am. But I'm going to do it anyways. I think it will help me out with that last bit of stubborn baby weight (and from all I've read it should increase my milk production, which is a bonus) and I think I'll be a lot more energetic to boot. I'm already doing better than I was with either of the other two kids, largely thanks to those rockin' multivitamins I mentioned - seriously, but there is always room for improvement. And, I'd really just like to have our family eating healthier. The kids LOVE their green smoothies, we eat them every day, and Tot could eat her weight in salad, but I'm going to use this month to getting the rest of us to eat more salad and to cut all of our white sugar down. It's not like I have pliant children to begin with, maybe cutting out white sugar will give me normal-energy kids :)

Anyways, that's it - a fruit and veggie filled, month-long wonderland of Extravaganza, September 21 - Oct 21. Goodness, that sounds long. Oh, and if you need any ideas for your green smoothie, hop on over to Happy Foody - she's got a great recipe, a great How To video, and all sorts of help there. As for me, I stick to the same thing every time - 8 oz OJ, 1 fresh banana, 2 cups baby spinach, and 2 cups frozen mixed fruit. Blend, blend, blend, nom, nom, nom.


So - are you going to join me on this freakish Extravaganza? Come on. You know you want to. See? That's a little niggle telling you that it would be sad to leave the Unsinkable to blend all on her onsie. She needs a Green Smoothie Pal.

That pal is you. :)

7 comments:

Tiffany said...

This post was great! Thanks for the laughs AND advice!

I am not going to be able to join you daily, but I am definitely planning to use this green smoothie as an indulgence for my sweet tooth on occassion. I do love me some baby spinach in any form.

AS far as dinner salad suggestions, a really simple on that is my favorite it just a scoop of tuna on a bed of spinach or lettuce with some cherry tomatoes and (if you like them) chopped olives (I do not). Drizzle lightly with olive oil and balsamic and then sprinkle with sunflower seeds (the already de-shelled kind). You can also add a few little crumbles of feta is you want, but I think it's flavorful enough without it. It's got an uber simple but really tasty Mediterranean flair that gets you your greens, plus some protein to boot. Score!

Anonymous said...

Ok, I am joining you on this challenge. I try to do at leat one green smoothie a day but I am going to try for two starting this week. I also need to bebetter on the sugar part of my diet. I need to lose some weight and cutting put sugar and increasing my veggies should help.

Kyla

Anonymous said...

Here is the recipe that I have been using this week.

1 cup grapefruit juice
1 cup almond milk
6 TBS Chia Seeds
2 packet Stevia sweetner
1 cup of fresh spinach
1 cup fresh Kale
2 cups of mixed frozen fruit (mangos, peaches, pineapples and bananas)

This makes to 16 oz smoothies.


Kyla

Tiffany said...

Okay, so I just followed your recipe (using frozen blueberries we picked this summer for the frozen fruit blend) and it was, without question, the ugliest drink I have ever consumed...but it was GOOD! I've got to hand it to you and Sara Dreadlocks -- I had my doubts but you've made a believer out of me!

An added plus is that my blender just rinsed clean -- no scraping like when I make yogurt smoothies.

A Fancher said...

This is the green protein smoothie I make:
1 C almond milk
1 capful of vanilla
squirt agave syrup (great sugar substitute)
1 C frozen cherries
juice of 1/2 lime
2 t powdered greens
3 T whey powder
half an avocado

Just blend and drink

Cynthia said...

sorry - I'm just not there yet. I'm sure it's healthy, I'm sure all of your friends love it, I'm sure you feel better . . . but if I wanted to drink grass, I would lay in my yard and lick it during the rain. eeeewwww.

Tiffany said...

Cynthia, you do raise a compelling point. I mean, wasn't that part of Nebuchadnezzar's punishment -- to eat lose his mind and eat the grass of the fields for seven years?