Thursday, January 21, 2010

Thankful Thursday

Ahhh...Thursday. If there is one thing that I love about the internetz, it's Thursdays. You can hop, skip, and jump all over this thing and you will find some one being thankful on Thursday. I know it's mostly because everyone loves a good alliterative title, but still. It's nice to take a break from the snark and hear what is good is going on. And on that note, here is what your very own Unsinkable is thankful for this week:
(photo courtesy of wordtoyourmother-mindi.blogspot.com)


1. The girls sleeping late again today. Friends, it is almost 8 o'clock. AM. I can not even begin to explain how this rocks my world. To think that we are on the cusp of that dream land - when kids actually want to sleep instead of wanting to wake up at the butt crack of dawn - is sheer joy to me. The boy is still waking up early, but not near as early as he used to. I think I may be loving this having older kids thing.

2. My coffee. At some point, Dave has slowly changed me from a no-coffee drinker, to a sometimes coffee drinker, to a cup every Saturday, to a cup of cheap coffee most days of the week, to a cup of cheap coffee every day of the week, to a cup of whole bean coffee every day of the week, to a cup of really strong whole bean coffee every day of the week, to two cups of really strong whole bean coffee every day before 8am. I would be a little irritated if it didn't taste so stinking good. The man knows his coffee.

3. DATE NIGHT. Tonight is Date Night In, my friends. The kids go to bed around 7/7:30, we order take out, and snuggle on the couch to watch our Thursday night shows. I LOVE Date Night In. And because we've been doing it so long, the kids are actually pretty good at going to bed early. Mostly because they know that tomorrow night, Friday, is Family Movie Night. We go to the dollar video store and the kids pick out a movie for us all to watch and then Dave and I pick out a movie for us to watch when they go to bed. Then we make homemade pizza (ummm...unless I forget to start the dough, then we just get Little Caesars :) ) and we snuggle up in the living room and have ourselves some cuddle time. So I guess I'm really thankful for both Date Night and Family Movie Night.

4. Seriously, the girls sleeping past 8am. I can not express that sentiment of thanks enough.

5. The birds chirping outside my open window. It's another beautiful day here, and though I know it's about to get a little colder, right now I'm enjoying the breeze and the chirping birds and dreaming of Spring.

6. My Good Morning candle. We all know I have this thing for Yankee Candles. Well, I went into Hallmark some months ago and found a scent I had never seen before called "Good Morning". YUM. It smells so good, and it just adds such a nice touch to the general feel of the morning. Everyday I wake up and before I start my quiet time, I light it and smell it. If I over sleep, then Tot helps me light it and we sing a good morning song. It's odd how a candle really can make the morning feel Good.

7. My red robe. I'm sure I've spoken of my robe before - I wear it every single day and have worn it every single day (except some days in the summer) for over ten years. It was a gift from my tall Mammaw and it comes from the Tall Girl Shop. It goes all the way to the floor and is the perfect weight. Sigh. I do love this robe. Worth it's weight in fleece.

8. Our new math curriculum. Around October/November, I decided that the math curriculum we were using just wasn't cutting it. Tot hated it, it confused her more than it helped her, and it was very dry. So, after pushing through it for a few months I decided that since the whole reason we were homeschooling was to be able to change what wasn't working, so I went off to our local homeschool store, chatted with the workers, and picked out a new curriculum - Horizons math. And can I just say - LOVE IT. Tot has progressed a thousand times faster than she was, math is now one of her favorite things to do, and I'm just so pleased. If anyone is looking for a curriculum (or even just a workbook to do in addition to regular school), I highly recommend Horizons.

9. I mentioned the girls sleeping in, right? Cause Laws, it is rocking.

10. But the thing I am most thankful for? Starting mid February - Dave will be working from home FULL TIME. I know!! With his new job we didn't even think about the possibility of working from home, but his boss decided that was the way to go and I could not be more grateful. Currently, Dave is commuting an hour each way and gets up so early and gets home so late. This will not only give us two more hours of time where he would be traveling, but we'll also get to have lunch together. I am singing thanks to God for giving us more time with Dave. He's such a hard worker, and he never complains about the commute, but this will be a breath of fresh air for our family.


Anyways, that's what I'm thankful for today. What are you all thankful for?



No comments: