Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Unsinkable's Back, Alright!

(Author's Note: Please sing the above title to the tune of "Backstreet's Back" by the Backstreet Boys. Critical for maximum enjoyment.)

Well, that was certainly a much longer break than I intended! You know, I have been blogging now for almost five years. FIVE. YEARS. And the entire time I've never taken a longer break than a week. About October I just started to feel...talked out, I guess. There was facebook with the updates all day, Twitter with the tweeting every now and then, blogging a few days of the week (down from my usual every day posting), talking with friends on the phone, talking with people in person, being talked at by my kids, and being updated by all my friends on their respective blogs, facebooks, phone calls, etc. I felt saturated with information. There was nothing new I wanted to share, even though my life obviously didn't stop, and not much I wanted to hear, even though I normally love hearing everything. I just needed quiet.

And so I took it.

I took my quiet and made it my own. I deleted my Twitter account (which I never used much anyways), dropped my blog, updated facebook less (I didn't want to lose touch entirely), called friends less, talked to Dave less, wrote exactly nothing, and just was quiet for awhile. I scaled Christmas back (we only put up the kid's tiny tree), took two weeks off from homeschooling, and dropped all my normal routines and lists.

And it was wonderful.


For a little bit.


Over the years I have discovered something about myself: I am a verbal processor. I NEED to get things out of my head and out loud to think straight. It's like inside of my head it's all one great, big twirly mess but as I try to say it out loud, or put it on paper, or write about it on the blog, it streams out in a manner I can deal with. Most of the time, that's a good thing. I'm glad I learned that about myself, because when I start feeling all twirly I know what to do: talk or blog. It's just that for a while, I got tired of the extraction process. But one can only keep your head and mouth quiet for so long, if you are by nature a "Share-er". And so I'm back :)

It may take me some time to find my blogging groove again, I may be touch and go for a little while. But I'm definitely ready to start sharing again. Because you wouldn't believe what the kids have been doing lately. :)


5 comments:

Luke said...

Welcome back [smile].

Blogging breaks can be very wonderful things. I'm definitely there with my media blog at the moment...

~Luke

Regena said...

Glad you're back. I've missed you.;)

Diana said...

I couldn't be MORE happy! Bad friend...didn't call you today. Sorry. I will try again tomorrow! Love you. Miss you. Bye!

LBC said...

I'm so glad you are back! Also, you'll be happy to know that I had already read the title to the tune of "Backstreet's Back" before reading your note telling us to!

Nicole said...

Yea! Glad you're back!