Monday, March 08, 2010

Homeschool Plans Revisited

We are in the middle of our second semester of Kindergarten, and like I mentioned awhile back, I'm constantly going over what we're doing and if it's working and what should be kept and what should be changed. We did a major overhaul in November and it is working splendidly for the most part. Tot and I both love what we're doing and I've seen her move ahead leaps and bounds in math and reading. Part of what is so awesome about homeschooling is that there is an insane amount of things you can do and use in your school. With all of the wonderful programs and resources available, it's so easy to try do everything and do it all right now. We all know how your old Unsinkable loves a good idea, so this is particularly dangerous for me :).

So, what I'm doing here is writing out all the thing that I want to get done in the last part of this Kindergarten year, what I want to work on this summer, and what I want to start thinking about for 1st Grade in the Fall. Dave and I talked about doing school year round, but I'm not quite sold on it yet. I'm going to keep rolling on the year round school schedule and I'll take stock again at the end of April.

Kindergarten Goals

* Keep working through Phonics Pathways
* Finish Horizons K Book 2
* Finish Explode The Code Book 2
* Finish A Reason for Handwriting - K
* Keep working through Bible lessons
* Keep working through Great Composers & Great Artists
* Field Trips: Fort Worth Museum of Science & History, Dallas World Aquarium, The Heard,
* Order the Tropical Fish Hatchery Eggs & begin the Root View plants when weather is consistently warm
* Maybe order butterfly larvae, ladybugs, or praying mantis (?)

* What's Not Working: Tot got an awesome science kit for Christmas called "The Magic Schoolbus: Journey Into The Human Body". We loved the book, but the experiments were just a little over her head. There was much talk of synovial fluid and villi and such. After a few weeks, I packed it all away and we're going to pull it back out next year. Way cool, just a little much for Kindergarten. In place, I'm going to do a few mini units on other things.

Summer Plans

* Work on Garden
* Identify birds in our yard
* Certify our backyard as a Wildlife Habitat
* Field Trips (or really, just family trips): Dinosaur Valley State Park, Palo Duro Canyon, Arbuckle Wilderness, Turner Falls


1st Grade Inklings

None of this is set in stone, really. I probably won't order curriculum until May (around the Homeschool Book Fair time) so I've got time to keep browsing around and see what I like. As always, there is so much I want to use and look at, but we only have so many hours in a day and I don't want to over do it. I'm marking the ones I know I will use with an asterisk, the rest of it is up for grabs.

* Math - Horizons 1
* History - Story Of The World Volume One
* Reading - Phonics Pathways
Spelling - All About Spelling (??)
Writing - Writing With Ease (??)
Grammar - First Language Lessons
* Science - R.E.A.L Science Odyssey - Life
Art - Artistic Pursuits
* Handwriting - A Reason For Handwriting - A


So, there you (and I) have it. It helps my head to have everything laid out in front of me and a rough plan to go with. And of course, the beauty of homeschooling is that if it stops working, you can chuck it back to the bookshelf and save it for the next kid :)


1 comment:

Tiffany said...

May I come and do first grade at your house, too?!?!?!?! this all looks like so much fun -- but learn-y fun!