Monday, August 16, 2010

Bath & Wine Night


So, if you know me but at all, you know I like my rituals.

~ Dave and I have had weekly "Stay At Home Date Night" for over four years - we've never missed, no matter where we are. We even did "On The Phone Date Night" when he was traveling for work so much. We've changed the night from Friday to Thursday to Monday to Saturday - but the "night" has always remained.

~ Our family has had "Donut Day" every Saturday morning for 2 1/2 years. We've missed a handful when we were out of town visiting other people, but not very often. We almost always order the same things, too. I get either a chocolate glazed donut and donut holes, or a Plain Kolache and donut holes. Tot gets a strawberry sprinkled, LD gets a chocolate with sprinkles, Dave gets an Eclair and a Kolache (or a Bear Claw), and Allie noms on leftovers from us all.

These are only two examples, but the point being, I am a girl of routine.

And my routine has been lacking a little something lately, and that something has been Bath & Wine Night.

The last eight weeks or so I was pregnant with Allie, I got the go-ahead from my Dr to enjoy a glass of wine a week to help me sleep better and relax. Now, first off, I don't really like wine. Second, I am the world's worst drinker. The smallest amount makes me go all red-faced and sleepy. I wasn't always like this, but I sure am now. So when the Doctor told me I could have a glass, I was all "Yeah, sure. That'll be happening never." But one night while grocery shopping, Dave decided he wanted a bottle. That night, I decided to take a bath to ease those pregnant pains, and I thought to myself "Self, lots of people talk about drinking a glass of wine and taking a bath. Maybe the bath makes the wine taste better. You should try it."

So I did.

I drew up that bath, loaded it with Epsom salts (my aching joints are so fancy), lit a few candles, poured myself a glass and hopped (hmmm...carefully lumbered is probably a better term) on in.

It. Was. Awesome.

I don't know if the bath really does make the wine taste better, if it's the Epsom salt air or something, but lawsy mercy the wine was delicious! I drank the whole (4 oz.) glass, something I had literally never done before, and had the best night's sleep I had had since my 2nd month. Glorious.

And so, Bath & Wine Night began. Every weekend Dave and I would pick out a new bottle of wine, and every Monday night we'd have dinner, put the kids to bed, watch a little TV and then pop that bottle and Dave would watch man shows and I'd go have a bath.

Doesn't that just sound lovely? Because it truly is.

After Allie was born, it was much harder to have Bath & Wine night. Mostly because I was nursing all the time, but also because I just stopped making the time for it.

But no more.

Tonight, it's on like Donkey Kong.

I've got my bottle of Gnarly Head Merlot (nothing but the best here folks), some bath salts and a mud face mask (oohlala) and a stack of good books. It will be legendary.

And SO part of my week from now on.


1 comment:

Sarah said...

Sounds heavenly. That's one of my favorite ways to relax. And speaking of...I don't know if you like Riesling (love it), but there's a really good one called RELAX...it's in a tall blue bottle and it's smooth and delish.