Wednesday, September 08, 2010

Homekeeper's Journal

I found this on Christian Homekeeper and I thought that it looked fun, because of course I have my head all in my house right now. I'm getting ready for cleaning and starting to make my cold weather lists and this survery just seemed to fit into my home-centered mood today.

My kitchen would be more inviting if... there were a little more natural sunlight. We have a galley kitchen that works very well, but since it is smack in the middle of the house with no windows in can get a little dreary in there. I think that short of adding a sunlight into the ceiling (which we've talked about), I could help this by putting a squat lamp in there and adding some light underneath the cabinets.

My best tip for making a home feel welcoming... not having a lot of fussy rules or furniture. We try to make sure that when people come here that they aren't worried they will hurt something or disrupt our zen and know that they can act at our house just like they would at their own. Feet go on the coffee table, kids can yell (mostly :) ), and getting yourself a drink isn't rude.

To give the feeling of warmth in my home I often... light my Yankee Candle. Right now I'm burning "Good Morning". It's a sweet smell that kindof makes you think of muffins. I want the first impression of my house to be welcoming, so I try to have the place not smell like diapers or dogs. Sometimes I do better at this than others :)

In cooler months it is essential for me to... have lots of snuggly things around. I read in a book somewhere that you should always have the makings for a nap in your living room. Since all my kids still have nap time or quiet time and all the rooms are taken, I can't just run into my bedroom and grab a pillow when the Nap Need strikes. So, I try to keep quilts in the hallway and a good pillow nearby. That way, when it's cold outside and warm inside, I can turn off the lights and snuggle down.

Some favorite Autumn or Winter recipes are... Vegetarian Chili, Cheesy Chicken Chowder, Potato Soup, or really anything soupy and warm. In the winter we have Chili (vegetarian and meat) almost every week. Except when I'm pregnant. For some reason, my ability to cook a mean chili vacates when I'm pregnant. We discovered this while I was pregnant with Little David - but thought it was a fluke. We realized it was a blanket fact while I was pregnant with Allie. I made the most disgusting pot of "chili" you've ever seen. We didn't even eat a bite. We just looked at it and ordered pizza.

A quick tip for making your house more inviting... Make it smell good and make sure there is a comfy place for your friends to sit. Which reminds me, I need to put cushions on my kitchen chairs. My chairs are lovely, but could probably use a little smooshy.



To fill out your own survey, just copy and fill in and be sure to link up to Christian Homekeeper!


2 comments:

Amy Lu said...

A note on the lights under cabinets...get a warm tone. The bright white flurescent is just going to drain your energy and not produce what you desire. If you can put lights above your cabinets, look into the rope lighting (Christmas lights but not as tacky looking).

yes, I'm anti florescent at all costs (and i know I'm misspelling it. I'm too lazy to look it up and I don't respect the bulb enough to really care)

I love fall time..and your love for it propels my love for it :)

The Garrett's said...

You've definitely got that second one down! You make people feel really welcome & comfortable in your home! I love your Fall list too!