Friday, November 04, 2011

Mission: Completed

Since Dave is now on his way home, I feel okay sharing with the Internets At Large that he has been on a business trip since early Tuesday morning.  That means a grand total of FOUR SOLID DAYS away while I'm doing the solo wrangle with four kids.  

One of the downsides to Dave working from home is that I am accustomed to him being able to pop in whenever I really need a hand with the kids.  I try not to pull that string much because, well, he is actually working a job, but it's nice to have the option.  When he is gone, I become SO MUCH MORE AWARE of how nice it is to have that option! 

The trip began on a ... shaky note with me awakening after a handful of hours of (bad) sleep as Nolan decided to have a chit chat with me every hour during the night.  Sweet, but laws child, I am much more conversational in the afternoon.  So I got out of bed to find 1 kid had peed the bed, 1 dog had peed the carpet, and the same dog had chewed up a DIRTY diaper she got a hold of.   It was a gross morning. 

But we rallied.

I determined that I wasn't going to mope around all week, like I normally do when Dave is gone, subsisting on delivery pizza and Chick-fil-a.   I made sure to actually engage with them and play board games and jump on the trampoline and say "Yes" more than I said a default "No" and cook some actual food.  Funny enough, the kids responded very well to NonMopey Mom. 

There was still a healthy dose of bickering and insanity, but I can firmly state that this was the best Dave Gone Week we've had.  It still would have been better with him home, but I didn't cry at all and made Pumpkin Waffles.

Success.  







1 comment:

Julie said...

I am VERY proud of you! Charles was gone for five days this summer and I hung on by the grace of God while he was gone but when I saw him I burst into tears. These are good men we have.